Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
jmachats

Error Code 3038, 104

Has anyone had any experience with getting this code repeatedly? I've fixed it several times, it works for awhile, and then I notice my scans don't complete or my scheduled scans haven't run for a couple days. I've spoken to the Norton techs and all they say is the other security products are the issue, which I know isn't true. Only MBytes runs in real time, and the rest are on-demand.

Besides, I had a similar issue and uninstalled all my security scanners and the issue remained. Further, I have the exact same setup on my laptop with no issue at all. In short, that's not what's causing this. This actually started happening after I installed Norton Zone.

Any ideas on a permanent fix?

F4E
Kudos: 808
Solutions: 176

Re: Error Code 3038, 104

[ Edited ]

This error can be to do with Live Updates. Have you run updates until no more are to be found, and then re-booted the computer ?

Also, it's not a good idea to have two real time programs running together. It would be better if you used MalwareBytes Free, and used it only as a passive scanner to avoid possible conflicts.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
yank
Kudos: 2,229
Solutions: 510

Hi jmachats,

Here is the Norton Knowledge Base Article concerning error 3038, 104.  Please be sure to see the What if this didn't work? at the bottom of the page.

Also please verify that your system date, time and timezone are correct.  If your clock is losing time over a period of time, it could cause the problem and when you "fix it" ti will owrk until such time as it loses the time again.

F4E is correct that it is not a good idea to run more than one program in real-time.  If you check the MBAM forum it will give you settings to change in Norton and MBAM to avoid conflict when running MBAM in real-time. Also IMHO, it is alomst an impossibility to have two system setup identcally - one is a desktop, not a laptop to start with - so the system already is going to have different specs.

You said it started after installing Norton Zone - have you removed it and left it uninstalled to see if it is the cause?

Regular Contributor
jmachats

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've seen the knowledge base article and tried it. It works for a short while and then it starts again - I notice it when i see my scheduled scan isn't running when it should and i get an error message when attempting a quick scan

The system time and date is correct I checked it

Haven't tried uninstalling NZ - I guess that makes the most sense as I noticed the problem after installing it

I'm going to reach out to a contact at MB and see about those changes - they are basically running as. Might you have a link to the forum where this is discussed? Thanks!

Regular Contributor
jmachats

Thanks for the reply. Have done that several times - works for a short while and then stops working.

That's what I've always done so before I installed MB real time I checked with both companies - both said they could run together

yank
Kudos: 2,229
Solutions: 510

[ Edited ]

jmachats wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've seen the knowledge base article and tried it. It works for a short while and then it starts again - I notice it when i see my scheduled scan isn't running when it should and i get an error message when attempting a quick scan

The system time and date is correct I checked it

Haven't tried uninstalling NZ - I guess that makes the most sense as I noticed the problem after installing it

I'm going to reach out to a contact at MB and see about those changes - they are basically running as. Might you have a link to the forum where this is discussed? Thanks!

Sorry I do not have alink to the MBAM Forum - but did locate the following on the Norton Forum:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Symantec-Service-Framework-ccSvcHst-e...

A moderator on the MBAM users forum suggested that I could prevent any conflicts with NIS 2009 and MBAM Pro by adding the following three files to my NIS 2009 Scan Exclusions (i.e. in both risk scanning and auto-protect scanning exclusions):   - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe   - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe   - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Also here is an older post from the MBAM Fourms - you may be able to find a more recent one if you search for it:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=99155

Regular Contributor
jmachats

Thanks for the reply. Let me look into these and couple other things and will let you know

Contributor
usps

I continue to get these errors.

I have contacted chat and phone many times.

The error always return within 48 hours and I am unable to complete a scan.

I have unistalled and reinstalled 3 times.

Update seems to be working fine.

I have the newest version.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,442
Solutions: 360

One other thing you might try is to try to eliminate a possible program corruption.

Try clearing all Windows temp files. Then find the Windows/Prefetch folder and delete all the files in that folder. These files help Windows load programs quickly. They will be recreated when Windows is restarted.

Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Restart the computer once more. The first restarts may take a little longer as the Prefetch files are recreated.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.