Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
jsavga

Error "3039,1"

I keep getting this error poping up since steping up to NIS 09 from 08. I have uninstalled and reinstalled NIS09 twice now, but this error still pops up.
Regular Contributor
Dieselman743

Re: Error "3039,1"

Did you completely uninstall NIS 2008 before installing NIS 2009? Have you tried running the Norton Removal Tool after uninstalling? Are you using any other security products?
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NAT
Behavior Analysis = Threatfire
On Demand = MBAM
Contributor
jsavga

I have just finished twice more trying to get this took care of. Removed using the Noirton Removal Tool. Installed again and after I'm online for a while the error pops up again. Ran Live update and got all the latest updates, but the error still keeps coming up. No other security products running.

This is on a XP Pro machine that is up to date with SP3 and all the latest updates..

Contributor
jsavga

[ Edited ]

I have uninstalled Norton and Reinstalled about 10 times now and still have the Error 3039,1 pop up after I've been online for a bit. I have run the unistall from Add/remove programs, I have used the Norton Removal Tool, etc. I do not have any other antivirus/adware/spyware remover, etc. running. I am using my Administrator Account which I have used since installing XP. I have run one version or another of Norton on this PC since XP was first installed on it in (a few years).

Here is the capture from the error summary page:

Norton Error Summary 

Message Edited by jsavga on 10-19-2008 12:50 PM
Regular Contributor
Tech0utsider

jsavga wrote:

I have uninstalled Norton and Reinstalled about 10 times now and still have the Error 3039,1 pop up after I've been online for a bit. I have run the unistall from Add/remove programs, I have used the Norton Removal Tool, etc. I do not have any other antivirus/adware/spyware remover, etc. running. I am using my Administrator Account which I have used since installing XP. I have run one version or another of Norton on this PC since XP was first installed on it in (a few years).

Here is the capture from the error summary page:

Norton Error Summary 

Hi This is Tech0utsider =)

Run One Click Support: Right Hand Corner>Help & Support>One Click Support>See where that can get you. 

If it does not help: 

First uninstall Norton via the Add/Remove Programs. Then, delete:

1.  All Users/Symantec Temp. Files
   2.  All Users/Symantec
   3.  All Users/Norton
   4.  All Users/Norton Installer
   5. start>run>regedit>HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>delete "Norton" and "Symantec"
   6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>delete "Norton" and "Symantec"

For Steps 5-6, make sure that you are on your local administrator account.Then:

1.  Run Norton Removal Tool.
   3.  Install NIS09.

=\
Contributor
jsavga

Tech, I've already done all that. Not only that, but done a file search for both Norton and Symantec and removed any files and folders associated with them. Searched the registry and did the same with any keys related to them.

Uninstalled, deleted all files, run the removal tool, searched and deleted any files/folder, searched and deleted any keys in the registry, booted into safe mode, did all this again and finished by running the removal tool a third time. Boot into administrator account, run setup.exe letting it download and install NIS 2009.  None of this has helped. 

Regular Contributor
Dieselman743

What programs are running in the back round? What is down in your system tray?
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NAT
Behavior Analysis = Threatfire
On Demand = MBAM
Contributor
jsavga

Forgot to mention, One Click support runs everytime I get this error. It tells me the same thing, uninstall using the Removal tool and reinstall.
Contributor
jsavga

This is the system tray

These are the Processes currently running

These will change as you can imagine (such as the TV guide update happen to be running during the screenshot), but nothing is really different than when NIS2008 was running.

timboss

Re: Error "3039,1" Me Too

Hi JSAVGA,

Exactly the same happened to me almost in every way.

I too have xp sp3 and running 2008 offered 2009.

When I rebooted every icon on the desktop was shown as lnk.

Now I realise every file had lost its association including exes.

I found using a laptop several tools that restore the associations.

I also get 3039.1 and a new window offering a fix that always fails and tells me to uninstall and re-install which is good for a few minutes then the re x appears again and advanced function not working.

I spoke online 4 times with symantec guys who took control of my pc and just did the above.

The issue of every program failing ... not interested "we are not trained for this, contact microsoft"

This is obviously an issue.

I did find a site offering free association fixes which I ran for each file extension.

The only problem I have now is Norton and I think I know what I should do with that!

Good luck