Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
abadboy

Expired Norton Stops PC from Connecting to Internet

Hi.

My NIS 2010 subscription for 3 PC ended on Friday. I renewed the same on Saturday. When tried to logon to internet on one of the PCs so as to activate Norton, I was not able to logon to the internet.I was not even able to access my Wifi Router.

After hardware diagnosis was identified not to be the problem. I suspected it could be norton. I uninstalled(Using the Network Removal tool) and Viola.. The internet started working. I then reinstalled Norton to activate it

Though this issue is resolved and would happen only if you are using a expired Norton.

It would be good if Norton can fix this issue or warn users that such a problem could happen if you don't renew the subscription. 

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,294
Solutions: 263

Re: Expired Norton Stops PC from Connecting to Internet

This has been discussed before and the basic reasoning is "better safe than sorry".  Norton is expired and therefore no longer protecting your system; the best way to keep one safe and protect their (Norton's) software is to lock it down (which it did).

The point about how disabled your system will be with an expired Norton product (especially one like NIS) not being clearly stated to the user is a good one and is under consideration at this point.

Win7 x32 SP1
Visitor
abadboy

Agreed that it is better to be safe but isn't there a way we must be able to activate the subscription(Other than buying it before it expires). I personally believe uninstalling and re-installing isn't a good method 
Symantec Employee
Garret_Polk

When Norton expires it turns itself off and turns Windows protections back on like Windows Firewall, Windows Defender. It does not disable your network, that would be a bad thing.

What operating system are you using? I ask because Windows 7 RC1 (public beta) has known issues with their firewall which could cause this. Also it is possible that Windows Firewall was configured in such a way that it caused this issue when it was re-enabled (set to block all connections).

Principal Software Engineer
Norton Research Labs
Visitor
abadboy

[ Edited ]

The Os is Vista Home Premium (WIth SP1)  

Norton didn't activate either firewall or defender automatically untill after i uninstalled it and i can confirm it  disabled my network...i was not even able to access my router(Airport Express) leave alone the internet. Additionally the network got enabled as soon as i uninstalled Norton.(I made no changes to either Windows Firewall or Defender's activation state) .

Message Edited by abadboy on 11-03-2009 10:24 AM
floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hi

I think if Norton's is going to stop working when a subscription is up, then it should at least return the Window's firewall back to the way it was before the Norton program was installed.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.