Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Visitor
saxel

Fake Antivirus Infection

Over the weekend my daughter's laptop was infected by Vista Antivirus, a fake antivirus, after clicking by mistake on a e-mail link.

It was somewhat gauling to have NIS assuring us the laptop was secure and scans run in normal mode, safe mode and using the Norton Bootable Recovery tool all with up to date definitions all assuring us the laptop was virus free, even some days after the infection.

Yes I know that no security programme will protect against every attack, yet at the same time we are warned against using Superantispware or malwarebytes real time protection to provide a layered defence.

So we were relient on only NIS running real time with SAS as an on demand scanner.

I knew if I came to the forum I would have been refer to one of the excellent free malware removal sites, however in the end after recovering the documents using a Lynx disk, I chose to format and reinstall from a image (unfortunately a rather old image), and update from there.

I must confess I've beeen a real fan of Norton up until now, but having been let down so badly  my confidence in the product has really been shaken.

Laptop Dell Inspiron 1501 2Gb memory

Security products NIS 20011 V 18.6 plus SAS as an on demand scanner only

Operation system Vista SP2 fully updated.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Re: Fake Antivirus Infection

This one http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011  ???

Different names listed due to new releases and peoples Operating system

Quads

Regular Visitor
saxel

Re: Fake Antivirus Infection

Yes Quads that seems to have been the one.