Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Administrator
Dave_Coleman

Firefox 8 Support for Norton Toolbar

[ Edited ]

Mozilla has released Firefox 8. During the upgrade process to Firefox 8, Firefox users will be presented with a list of add-ons installed and the user must select whether to enable them or not. This includes the Norton Toolbar.

Symantec has released a compatibility update to bring Firefox 8 support to our 2011 products (including Norton 360 v5) and 2012 products.  For ease and convenience it is recommended that you apply this patch prior to upgrading to Firefox 8. You may already have this patch downloaded via Automatic LiveUpdate.

Step 1. Make sure your Norton product has the Firefox 8 compatible patch by running LiveUpdate and rebooting until there are no more patches available on LiveUpdate. 

Step 2. When upgrading to Firefox v8 , Firefox will check for your add-ons:

1.jpg

Step 3. When prompted to select the Add-ons you would like enabled, select the ‘Norton Toolbar’ and ‘Norton Vulnerability Protection’ checkboxes:

2.jpg

Step 4. Restart Firefox 8

Step 5. If you still do not see the Norton Toolbar, run LiveUpdate again and reboot. The update may have already been applied by Automatic LiveUpdate.

Check in Firefox to make sure that the Norton add-ons are enabled by going to ‘Tools’->’Add-ons’ and select the ‘Extensions’ tab. If they are disabled for some reason, click on the ‘Enable’ button for both ‘Norton Toolbar’ and ‘Norton Vulnerability Protection’.

Screenshot of the 2012 version of Norton Toolbar

3.1.JPG 

Screenshot of the 2011 version of Norton Toolbar

2011.jpg

If you are unable to get the patch for your Norton Product, here are a few steps you can take to download the patch:

- Run LiveUpdate continuously until it tells you that there are no updates available.

- Please check the Norton Update Center to ensure you're running the latest version of Norton Internet Security or Norton 360. (Current customers with a valid subscription are eligible for a free update to the latest version.)

Cheers,

Dave

Super Contributor
john7

Re: Firefox 8 Support for Norton Toolbar

[ Edited ]

I had two updates one after another (itself amazing given the live update issue) requiring a reboot each Firefox 8 is however saying

Norton Toolbar 2012.2.0.2 (disabled)

Last updated 08 November 2011

Super Phishing Phryer
killyourtv

john7 wrote:

I had two updates one after another (itself amazing given the live update issue) requiring a reboot each Firefox 8 is however saying

Norton Toolbar 2012.2.0.2 (disabled)

Last updated 08 November 2011

Same here. I'm going to reboot again... see if that works.

NIS - 21.2.0.38
Windows 7 SP1 32bit
TomiRed
Topics: 86
Kudos: 162
Solutions: 27

There is a product update for NIS 2012 that will arrive after these two - it brings NIS 2012 to 19.2.0.10 and after that the Toolbar will work.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- NIS 21
Super Contributor
john7

I had a 3rd update of some 15mb that needed an other reboot. This time its all working in FF, it had the same update date but the version number is now 216. It would help is we were informed of whats going on and what versions we need to look out for if there are problems. What needed 3 reboots no one has said!

mikedov
Topics: 19
Kudos: 38
Solutions: 10

Yup.  Just got the 19.2 update but it required THREE restarts!  Update, restart, update, restart, update, restart.  It seems that with every update, a small aspect of the Norton program was changed.  The first update brought with it the MUI folder, the second swaped the 19.1 MUI with the 19.2 MUI folder, the third brought the engine update.

Windows 7 SP1 64 bit (x64), Norton Internet Security 2012, Internet Explorer 9

Turn on your social badge like the one I have set up on the left (box surrounding name). Click here to set it up.
MarkusS

Yes, you've to restart  your PC and run LiveUpdate until LiveUpdate says that there are no update applicable to the product. Then it should work.

Check in Firefox in the Addons section if there is no update. Then restart firefox if there was no change or restart the PC at least.

Good luck!

Markus

Symantec Employee
bkennedy

All,

Starting about now you won't need the extra reboots to fully LU to the 19.2 patch.  The extra reboots were due to us pushing the parts of the patch out and users getting the parts individually.  Now that all are up this should no longer be an issue.

But yes please run LU until you don't get any more updates. 

bk

Super Phishing Phryer
killyourtv

TomiRed wrote:

There is a product update for NIS 2012 that will arrive after these two - it brings NIS 2012 to 19.2.0.10 and after that the Toolbar will work.

Indeed! Ran LiveUpdate again before the reboot & got the Engine update - Toolbar is now working.

Looks like we got an added surprise today.:smileyvery-happy:

Now, if I can just find which extension is freezing Firefox repeatedly, I'll be happy.

NIS - 21.2.0.38
Windows 7 SP1 32bit
Super Contributor
john7

I ran update with NO updates many times between the first 2 and 3rd one. It was only an aftewr thought to try again had the 3rd one which can make this update very confusing.