Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Proffs

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at download.microsoft.com.

Hi all, i'm just trying to update directx thru microsoft.com but it keeps giving me this message "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at download.microsoft.com.". I've tried resetting my firewall thru norton and have checked that firefox is an allowed program as well. I'm running windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Proffs

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,684
Solutions: 759

Re: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at download.microsoft.com.

Hi Proffs,

These types of failed connection alerts are usually due to a problem with the server to which you are attempting to connect, or to a DNS or cache problem in the browser.  If you are able to connect using Internet Explorer, then it is almost certainly a Firefox issue which you may be able to cure by clearing cookies and the cache.  Do this through Tools> Clear recent history.  Select a time range of "Everything" and check Cookies and Cache in the Details list.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

Re: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at download.microsoft.com.

Microsoft from what I can recall hasd always required the use of Internet Explorer to access the update portions of the website.  They don't seem to mind if you want to download trials, or just browse the website, but to get the standard updates, or to specifically check for updates, it will have to be IE.

Even on Win 7 I can go anywhere I want with Firefox except the downloads page.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
Proffs

Hi, thanks for the tip but i had managed to update my gf's directx thru firefox just yesterday and everything went real easy (She doesn't have Norton). I thought i'd try thru explorer but just realised IE isnt even working anymore! :O Is there anything else I can do in Norton other than adding explorer in allowed programs thru the firewall? Everything was working fine on Friday before I installed Norton.

Thanks,

Proffs

Visitor
Proffs

[ Edited ]

Thanks SendofJive, but i tried this with no success. Still get the same message. What's weird is the page basically loads for a second or two then that message comes up; making me think that its not a problem with firefox but rather something is stopping it from outside (ie Norton or something).

Thanks again,

Proffs

SendOfJive

Hi Proffs,

I have no problem navigating to the site with Firefox.  You can try resetting the Norton Firewall (Network Settings > Smart Firewall Advanced Settings Cofigure[+] > Reset Firewall Reset [+]), but I suspect this is not a firewall issue.  You would probably have more success trying Firefox in its Safe Mode (Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)) to rule out a problem with an add-on or plug-in.  What is preventing IE from working?

SendOfJive

What is the full URL that Firefox reports in the notification?

Visitor
Proffs

[ Edited ]

I've tried resetting the firewall already; to no avail. I cant work out why IE doesnt work either; it was working fine before i installed Norton. The URL i'm trying to access is http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/1/1718CCC4-6315-4D8E-9543-8E28A4E18C4C/dxwebsetup.exe I too can navigate the site everywhere except when i try to download the update i get the cant connect to server at download.microsoft.com thing.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

What security software were you using before Norton, and how was it removed?

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,292
Solutions: 263

You could try resetting IE via the Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset.  That may help with the IE not working problem and possibly the Firefox connection as Windows uses the IE network settings to control web access.

Win7 x32 SP1 NIS 21.1.0.18