Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
tomcatm1

Firewall blocking printer

I'm running Norton Internet Security ver. 18.5.0.125 on my desktop.  My printer is networked via a Belkin Share router connected by a DLS cable.  My desktop runs Windows XP.  I can only print when I disable the Norton firewall.  I have tried to change some of the settings (Trust, Sharing) but haven't found the answer.  Any suggestions?

Mitka
Topics: 88
Kudos: 39
Solutions: 9

Re: Firewall blocking printer

What exactly have you done?

Does the router and printer appear on NS Map?

If it appears, did you Full Trust the devices?

Mitka

Visitor
tomcatm1

Only the computer shows on the NS network map.

Mitka
Topics: 88
Kudos: 39
Solutions: 9

Can you go through your Firewall History to see if there's anything of interest?

Mitka

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,675
Solutions: 759

Hi tomcatm1,

Try physically disconnecting the printer and reconnecting it to see if Norton then adds it to the Network Security Map.  You may then have to further edit the device to give it a trust level of "Shared" or "Full Trust."

Visitor
tomcatm1

The nework security map shows only my desktop.  I tried to add the router by entering its IP address, but I got a message saying it was already on the network.  Why doesn't it show?  I don't know how to add the printer or find its IP address.  I tried disconnecting the cable from the router and reconnecting, but it didn't show up on the network.

The Belkin rep suggested shutting down the Norton firewall since the router firewall would protect me, but I don't know about that.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,675
Solutions: 759

Hi tomcatm1,

Try rebuilding the network to see if Norton is then able to see the printer.  Disconnect the printer and any other peripheral devices.  Open the Network Security Map and make sure that Remote Monitoring is turned OFF.  Next, close the Network Security Map (this must be closed prior to the next step).  Then, in the main Norton  window, go to Network Settings > Network Security Map and click Purge [+].  Now reconnect your devices.  The Network Security Map should recognized them automatically as you connect them.

Super Spam Squasher
hvgsel

[ Edited ]

Hi tomcatm1,

Switching Norton firewall off, is a bad idea, as you then will have no protection on outgoing internet traffic.

Can you be more specific about your router and printer : brand, type, network printer or not, wireless printer or not, version of your printer software.

What do you mean by a DLS cable? DSL cable or something else? Then that will be your Internet connection only.

If your printer is a wired network printer, it will be connected to the router with a CAT5 network cable.

Only (wireless) network printers show up in your Network Security Map. Locally connected printers (USB) do not show up.

Some HP printers with a certain version of their software, for instance, require adjustments in Norton firewall, because HP then did not stick to the rules.

Also possible : you maybe need to adjust some router settings.

So plse provide some more details.

W8.1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 / XP3-SP3 with IE8 and FF 28, TB 24.4, NIS2013 21.1.1.7 and N360 21.1.1.7
Visitor
tomcatm1

Sorry, hvgsel.  The printer is connected to router with a USB cable.  I am running XP SP3 operating system.  IE 8, NIS 2011.  Belkin Share router.  I have a Dell desktop connected to the router via an ethernet cable and a Dell laptop which is connected to the router wirelessly.  When I have the laptop and desktop both on NIS network map shows both computers, but not the router or printer.  If I diable NIS firewall I can connect to printer and print from desktop.  If I'm connected to printer and re-enable firewall, I can still print from desktop.  If I then disconnect from priner (for example to print from the laptop), firewall blocks reconnecting and I can't print from desktop.  (By connect, I mean I am connecting/disconnecting via the Belkin router print and sharing center, not physically connecting/disconnecting the USB cable).  I tried what guru above suggested but could not get NIS to list printer.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

Have you tried plugging the printer into the wired desktop instead of the router.  That is how my setup works.  I have two other laptops that connect wirelessly and use the printer through print sharing on the desktop.  Plugging the printer into the router may cause it to act as though there are two completely different networks rather than one connected one.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain