Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
frederickson

Firewall issues!

Since installing the Norton my printer has been having issues. Now it's not connecting to the wireless connection at all and there is something that says my dleacoms.exe are disabled and I need to adjust the firewall. I went through the steps that the little prompt was telling me to do, but I am unable to find the internet settings from the settings tab. I have no idea where to go to adjust the firewall. If someone could please give me step by step instructions on how to get to the firewall settings and how to adjust the settings so my wireless printer will work again I'd be so thankful. I have the newest version of Norton with only one computer on the network and the wireless printer. I don't know if that matters but... Anyway thanks in advance

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: Firewall issues!

[ Edited ]

Hi frederickson:

What version of Norton do you have, Norton Internet Security or N360?  If you open the main screen, assuming NIS, and click on the network map, is your printer visible and correctly identified?  Is it set to full trust?  edit for both identity and trust level is on the right hand side.

Also you may need to go into settings>smart firewall>program control and add any .exe's for your printing software.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
frederickson

I do have NIS, but when I go to the settings I only have computer settings, network settings and misc. settings. I am unable, or not aware just how, to change the settings on the firewall. When I went to the Map it says that I have an unsecure network and I have no idea how to make it secure. It also says that I have 7 things on my network... I'm totally lost. I uploaded the NIS on my laptop disabling the McAfee that came on it, I have the wireless printer, a Wii, and a desktop computer on my network. I'm so freakin lost. lol. When I downloaded the norton it said it was Norton 2011. I don't know if any of that helps or if you're just laughing at my ignorance. lol PLEASE HELP ME! lol

Visitor
frederickson

also I was able to edit the identity of the devices since I am assuming that all three of my cable boxes are part of the 7 things listed, but there wasn't an obvious way to edit the security/ trust of the devices. I feel so dumb!

Super Spam Squasher
hvgsel

[ Edited ]

Don't feel that way, we are here to help. Try to get some rest in your mind.

Since you only have these three categories in your settings panel, it looks like you downloaded/bought Norton Antivirus 2011, which does not have a firewall.

Norton Internet Security does have a firewall and some things more, but basically the Antivirus part is the same.

Plse try to answer the following questions one by one and on seperate lines; that makes it easier for us to read.

1. Now first go the main screen of your Norton and look in the upper left corner. It should say Norton Antivirus or Norton
          Internet Security. Plse tell us what you read there.
  2. Which Windows is installed on your computer : XP, Vista or 7?
  3. Did you remove McAfee only trough the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs?
          If you did it this way, you still need to run the McAfee removal tool, to get rid of it's remnants, becuase they can get in the
          way of Norton. If you did not run it, plse download, run it and reboot afterwards :
Having done all of that, see if you can print now. If not, go back to your Network Map and select the device which represents your printer and look at the security level of that  device. Next to this text, click 'edit' and set it to 'full trust'. I am not sure if security level is there in Norton Antivrus, it sure s in Internet Security. If you cannot indentify your printer, plse spell out the names above the 7 devices.
Plse tell us, if you succeed now.
W8.1 Update 1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 and FF 30, TB 24.6, NIS2013 21.3.0.12 and N360 21.3.0.12, Android 4.2 with NMS 3.8
Visitor
frederickson

1. I have Norton antivirus

2. Window's 7

3. and I did add remove. I'll try to make sure McAfee is completely removed and let you know how it goes.

Super Spam Squasher
hvgsel

[ Edited ]

Ok, that's some info for now. Succes with the rest.

Maybe to see 'Trust level' with the devices, you need to switch on 'Remote Monitoring' in the left part of the NW Security map.

One more question : is your printer a real network printer, connected to your router with a Network cable or wireless?

Or is it a USB printer, connected to your router with a USB cable?

What is the brand and type?

W8.1 Update 1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 and FF 30, TB 24.6, NIS2013 21.3.0.12 and N360 21.3.0.12, Android 4.2 with NMS 3.8
Visitor
frederickson

the printer is wireless, and the the wifi light is staying orange. it was green. there is no options to allow me to change the trust level and i cannot access the remote monitoring because it says my network is not secure... i tried to print and it keeps saying cannot communicate with the printer. I'm at a loss. should I just uninstall the printer and reinstall it? I've even tried hooking the usb cable up to the computer and printer and it's still being blocked by something.

Visitor
frederickson

oh sorry it's a Dell computer and printer and they are both less than a year old.

Super Spam Squasher
hvgsel

[ Edited ]

So why is your network not secure? Did you change wireless security settings in your router, for instance changing from WPA(2) protection to none or WEP or changing the network key? Or...did you reset the router to it's factory settings, which means most of the time, that you do not have network security on.

I can imagine that, because you had problems.

This is because the printer should be able to connect on it's own to the router if it is a real wireless printer and if the right Network parameters are in the memory of the printer! If the Wifi light stays orange, it means it cannot connect to the router. This is not a connection that runs through your computer or trough NAV.

If you changed the network parameters, you need to change them back to the original ones or change the setings in the printer (don't do this if you still know the parameters of the router).

What type of Dell printer do you have?