Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Viperlive

Fix (workaround) for mtool_new.exe problem in ie9 and B0460d01 problem in Firefox......

[ Edited ]

Simple and not too difficult partial fix for the "mtool_new.exe" in ie9 alleged virus and  the "B0460d01" alleged virus in Firefox that my Norton 360 stops.

With this fix you will at least not get the little bottom-right message boxes saying they been removed.

The source of the problem appears to be ytimg.biz wanting to do things when you open the two browsers, triggered by "mtool_new.exe" or triggering "mtool_new.exe." 

I cannot stop "mtool_new.exe", yet,  appearing in Startup in msconfig, but I can stop it's effect.

In ie9 I decide to block all access to many versions of ytimg.biz website, in Internet Options.

In Firefox I had to download an "Add On" to block a website, as the facility does not exist "as is". I used Block Site 1.0.9. and once again I blocked many ways of accessing ytimg.biz.

Since I did this, one day now, I do not get any N360 messages about blocking and removing these two viruses. So it would appear that blocking website "ytimg.biz" is helping.

My spelling may not be perfect, however I think I have blocked:

http:\\ytimg.biz

www. ytimg.biz

*ytimg.biz

*.ytimg.biz

Try anything you like as long as it ends with ytimg.biz !

Nothing else is happening, nor is anything else going wrong, i.e.. I cannot see any negative side-effects of this block.

As to those responsible for ytimg.biz and mtool_new.exe: I'll get you, you b****rds...

If anyone, including Mr Norton, has anything constructive to add or suggest, please do so.

Hope this helps a bit.

[Edit: Removing hyperlink to a website to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

Visitor
Viperlive

Re: Fix (workaround) for mtool_new.exe problem in ie9 and B0460d01 problem in Firefox......

Still no issues and no Norton messages.

Still no "mtool_new.exe" in "Startup"

I'll keep updating over time.

lucyt

Re: Fix (workaround) for mtool_new.exe problem in ie9 and B0460d01 problem in Firefox......

Visitor
Viperlive

I'll look into that.

Thanks.