Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
nikkiolio
Accepted Solution

Flash player won't work after installing Norton Antivirus 2011

Got hit w/a trojan virus and cleared it out w/Norton 2011 to the rescue; however, since installation flash player will not work.  When you go to a page requiring the player, it tells you to install the newest version and brings you to adobe.  I've installed/uninstalled, removed firewalls, removed adobe exceptions placed in norton - rebooted again and again - to no avail.  Ever see the south park episode when they lost internet?? I feel like a part of me is gone and I would love to get it back!  Any help would be appreciated! Nikki

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

Re: Flash player won't work after installing Norton Antivirus 2011

[ Edited ]

Hi nikkiolio,

What browser and extensions are you using?  Have you used the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller before reinstalling Flash Player?  Check the Adobe Flash Player troubleshooting suggestions here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/

Visitor
nikkiolio

Thanks for your reply.  I am using Internet Explorer 8 on Vista, and have run the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller many times followed by reboots of the system.  On the attempts to download flashplayer after rebooting, it appears as if it is installing and even shows up in my list of program files.  However, I still cannot view video.  I have been through the suggestions on the link you provide to no avail.  I'm thinking there is something in Norton blocking this program but am at a point of loss.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

Are your IE Security Zones set to their defaults (Tools > Internet Options > Security > Reset all zones to default level)?

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

1. You should try the manual flash installer which you can download.

2. You should check in IE8 managed add-ons. View all ad-ons and go down to Adobe Systems Inc do you see Shockwave Flash object?

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello nikkiollo

Are you using any other real time security programs besides NIS 2011? Are you using Spybot with Tea Timer installed? I woud suggest a full scan with Malwarebytes and see if that finds anything.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because some malware creators have large lists of sites that they block. Please be careful to down load the correct program ----the FREE version of MALWAREBYTES

(Thanks to Delph for providing the alternative site)

Also, what was the name of the trojan virus that you got hit with? What was the path of the bad files? It is possible that it wasn't cleaned out thoroughly. I would also recommend a scan with NIS 2011 in safe mode and see if it finds anything else. To me, it sounds like the malware was not completely cleaned out.

Please come back and let us know what happens and the answers to these questions. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Visitor
nikkiolio

Yes, all security zones at default.

Visitor
nikkiolio

Yes, I've tried the manual installer to no avail.  However, shockwave flash is NOT listed in my add-ons, however the shockwave player 11.5 shows up in my programs.  Anything further you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Visitor
nikkiolio

Thank you floplot, I will try malwarebytes.  I had thought of that but I did run Norton 2011 in safe mode and it found the trojan.gen in the recycle bin.  It was a trojan.gen.2 that apparently masked itself as AVG.  I will run the malwarebytes and report back as that my thinking as well. 

Visitor
nikkiolio

Ran Malwarebytes - found nothing