Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
sswm29

Full System Scan will not complete...

[ Edited ]

I have NIS from 2012 on two computers, both running on Windows 7. I ran a Full System Scan on my desktop Saturday with no problems. (My desktop had Java installed until Saturday, my notebook has not had Java installed for several months.)

Last night i tried to do a Full System Scan on my notebook, but it would not complete. The scan got stuck on a file at around 16k items scanned. I tried a few times to "pause" and "resume" the scan, but it still never moved. Eventually i fell asleep waiting for it to continue. When i woke up this morning, it was still stuck in the same file location on the same "items scanned" number, with the yellow bar still moving at the top as though it was still working. It would not let me stop and cancel the scan without using my task manager to end it, which then shut down NIS altogether. I had to restart my computer to get NIS up again.

My notebook was set to never shut down or sleep. Before i tried running the Full System Scan a second time, i also turned off my screensaver.

I tried running a Full System Scan again, and watched as it passed the 16k mark and the file location it was previously stuck on, then left the room to start my day. I came back later to see it was stuck again, at around 75k items scanned, in a completely different file location. After about 30 minutes, shut it down again (using task manager), restarted my computer again, and ran a Quick Scan instead. The Quick Scan ran just fine, only found a few cookies. Then i downloaded and ran the NPE, which ran just fine, and also found nothing.

Then i tried a third time to run a Full System Scan. This time it got stuck on yet another file location, at around 46k items scanned, and stayed there for about an hour before i shut it down with the task manager again, restarted my computer, and came here looking for information.

I used the Support tool to check my installation, which tells me my installation is fine.

So... why am i not able to run a Full System Scan?

peterweb
Kudos: 1,373
Solutions: 343

Re: Full System Scan will not complete...

Problems with a scan are often related to a hard drive problem.

To check your hard disk, click on the Windows Start button. In the search box type CMD. Right click on cmd.exe and click on run as administrator. In the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /r"  without the quotes. A message will come up asking if you want to check the disk on the next restart. Answer 'Y'. Reboot and the check disk will run before Windows starts up. This check will check the file system as well as the physical disk surface. This scan can take a long time, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Let us know if any errors are found.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
sswm29

The check disk only took a few seconds, and it came up saying the volume was clean, nothing else. Then it went on to Windows. :/

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Try turning off compressed file scan and see if it goes all the way through.

peterweb

If chkdsk only took a few seconds you probably did not use the  /r option. This will check the entire disk surface, so should take quite some time. If it ran so quickly and you used the proper option, you may have some other problem with your Windows installation.

Visitor
sswm29

I tried turning off the compressed file scan. When i started the Full System Scan, it instantly jumped to 80k items scanned, but then never moved.

I entered the chkdsk command exactly as you said, with the /r. Nothing to lose so i will try again.

Also, i ran Disk Cleanup, which deleted 2.6GB of files from my temporary internet files folder. That is insane. I've never seen that high of a number before. My notebook is only used for email and other basic web browsing, and playing Hearts or Mahjong. After that, Full System Scan still will not complete. It ran literally all day yesterday, and only ever reached about 72k items scanned, taking over a minute, sometimes longer, to increase one item scanned. It seemed to be sticking on my temporary internet files folder. I disconnected it from our network/internet, and ran Disk Cleanup again. This time there were hardly any temporary internet files, but about 155MB of error reporting files. There were 200-300MB of error reporting files the first time i ran it. I started a Full System Scan again last night, but it never got over 16k items scanned. This morning it was stuck in an Apple/App folder, which i believe is some sort of support for iTunes.

peterweb

See if you can run a full system scan in Safe Mode.

I would suggest a second opinion scan using the FREE version of Malwarebytes. You can find it here http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Visitor
sswm29

I ran the chkdsk again. The first time i had a space between the : and /, as i thought that's how you typed it. This time i did not have a space. It scanned 5 stages: files, indexes, security descriptors, usn journal, and file data. I guess there were no errors for the first 4 stages. When it finished the 5th stage, it scrolled up so fast i'm not sure what it said, though i did see something that said it discovered free space marked as allocated space. It looked like it started to scan again, but then it just skipped ahead into Windows. Is there somewhere those results are stored in a file?

I will try the malwarebytes.

peterweb

sswm29 wrote:

I ran the chkdsk again. The first time i had a space between the : and /, as i thought that's how you typed it. This time i did not have a space. It scanned 5 stages: files, indexes, security descriptors, usn journal, and file data. I guess there were no errors for the first 4 stages. When it finished the 5th stage, it scrolled up so fast i'm not sure what it said, though i did see something that said it discovered free space marked as allocated space. It looked like it started to scan again, but then it just skipped ahead into Windows. Is there somewhere those results are stored in a file?

I will try the malwarebytes.

Try the system scans with Norton to see if things are better now that the HD has had corrections make.

Visitor
sswm29

[ Edited ]

Okay, here's where i've been and where i am...

I downloaded and ran the Malwarebytes scan, starting with the quick scan. It ran fine, didn't find anything. Then i attempted to do a full scan, but it slowed down, seemed stuck, so i stopped it.

My hard drive was showing only 1% fragmented, as it is defragmented on a regular schedule. But i went ahead and defragmented anyway. I also uninstalled some programs and deleted some old program cache files that were no longer needed. The Malwarebytes scan shows the full file names so i could see things pop up that i knew didn't need to be there. After that, i tried a full scan again, and it ran all the way through, i was excited. It didn't find anything.

But, when i tried again to do a Norton's Full System Scan... it acted exactly the same. It reached around 24k items scanned, and got stuck in a completely different location than any previous time.

Only other thing i can think of is reinstalling Norton's. Any better ideas?

Thank you guys for your help, by the way.