Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
dan77w2001

Getting red X for NIS (version 20.2.0.19).

[ Edited ]

Getting red "At risk" with "fix now" on main product screen. Clicked on "fix now" but failed all: auto-protect, sonar protection, antispyware, email protection - all says not fixed.

Tried these other steps: 1) id "live update" till no more updates. 2) Downloaded and executed NPE. 3) Also, read somewhere to try setting "enable  boot time protection" to aggressive. But still red X.

Also when I try to do a scan, it says "product is inactive". When I go to set auto-protect, sonar protection, antispyware, email protection to ON, and apply, it doesn't keep those settings, go back to OFF.

Anyone to help how to get this fixed? Thanks.

anas
Topics: 0
Kudos: 0
Solutions: 1

Re: Getting red X for NIS (version 20.2.0.19).

Hi dan77w2001,

Do you remember getting any error message or any error number? Or can you please describe in detail what does it show on the product interface when you open it?

You can check for any error number by going on the Security history.

Open Norton > Advanced > History , in the drop down menu select "Norton Error Reporting". There you may see few entries. Select the most recent one and double click on it or select "more options" in the bottom right. It should open a new window.

There you may see an error number. Can you please report back with that number?

Thanks and regards,

Anas.

Spyware Scolder
SecurePC

dan77w2001,

Do you have an active Norton subscription or are you using the trial version? What does the "SUBSCRIPTION STATUS" say?

Win8.1 | NIS 21 | NSM | MBAM Pro | Spybot S&D | SpywareBlaster | KeyScrambler Prem | Secunia PSI | TrueCrypt | CCleaner | JV16 PowerTools | PerfectDisk Pro
// NIS Settings: Aggressive Heuristics / Aggressive SONAR / Aggressive Boot Time ~ www.needGod.com
Visitor
dan77w2001

Last night after trying all steps mentioned, got an error message: Error #3048,3. Click on link to download and install this 20121125-006-v5i32 (last night), Didn't work and still getting red X today.

When I open Norton now (and also before), on screen are 4 squares a red one titled "At risk" (shows CPU usage as: System 9%, Norton 5% and Trust level 53%). Action listed: "Your computer and network protection are at risk" with action "Fix now". Click on it...trying to fix "auto-protect, "antispyware, "email protection", "sonar protection". 4 results: "Not fixed". Just did this again now. Still red X

Visitor
dan77w2001

Have current NIS subscription - still 124 days remaining

Visitor
kautostar

I also have this problem.

Antivirus auto-protect, SONAR protection, Antispyware all not working. Autofix does not correct the problem.

Went to the Advanced section and manually switched on the protection buttons, but this does not seem to have any effect as I still get the At Risk warning. I have also tried live update and checked subscription status (379 days remaining).

Went to support and was told to download the removal tool, but this comes up as corrupt when I try to run it.

I have check the error history as stated above. I have 3 Norton Autofix errors for 27/11/2012, but no further details.

First noticed it today 27 November. There is another thread where someone is also having this problem, so this suggests it is a NIS problem not an individual computer problem.

yank
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 470

dan77w2001 wrote:

Have current NIS subscription - still 124 days remaining

Hi dan77w2001,

Please check to ensure your System Clok and date are correct (might as well check time zone also while there).

Also on the Main Page of NIS, Click on Support > Subscription Status.

Let us know the results.

Visitor
kautostar

I have just been on to live chat support.

The guy there sorted out the problem by remote control. I tried to follow what he if you wish to try it yourself, but I would recommend you go to the live chat support experts.

He first ran Norton Power Eraser (he went to advanced settings but I did not follow what he did there) to check you have no viruses.

Then you need download the Norton Removal tool from the website (there may be problems downloading through Internet Explorer as this came up as corrupt on mine, so he used Google Chrome and did it in Safe Mode), but make sure you have your latest version of NIS (e.g. NIS-UPGRADE-ESD-NoDefs-20-1-1-2-EN.exe) on your desktop so that you can reinstall easily.

Run the removal tool then reinstall NIS. Run live update and then a quick scan.

It took him about an hour to sort the problem but it all runs well now.

Hope this helps.

yank
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 470

kautostar wrote:

I have just been on to live chat support.

The guy there sorted out the problem by remote control. I tried to follow what he if you wish to try it yourself, but I would recommend you go to the live chat support experts.

He first ran Norton Power Eraser (he went to advanced settings but I did not follow what he did there) to check you have no viruses.

Then you need download the Norton Removal tool from the website (there may be problems downloading through Internet Explorer as this came up as corrupt on mine, so he used Google Chrome and did it in Safe Mode), but make sure you have your latest version of NIS (e.g. NIS-UPGRADE-ESD-NoDefs-20-1-1-2-EN.exe) on your desktop so that you can reinstall easily.

Run the removal tool then reinstall NIS. Run live update and then a quick scan.

It took him about an hour to sort the problem but it all runs well now.

Hope this helps.

Hi kautostar,

Can you give us some more info on what I highlighted in red above?  Was the actual download process corrupt, or did it show as corrupted after download and when you tried to run it?  I ask as we had a situation last night where IE wold not download the NRT and I'm trying to gather facts on it. 

Also thanks for gtting back with the solution that worked for you.

Visitor
kautostar

[ Edited ]

Hi kautostar,

Can you give us some more info on what I highlighted in red above?  Was the actual download process corrupt, or did it show as corrupted after download and when you tried to run it?  I ask as we had a situation last night where IE wold not download the NRT and I'm trying to gather facts on it. 

Also thanks for gtting back with the solution that worked for you.

First of all I could not save the NRT to my desktop as the window seemed to lock up (twice).

Eventually did save NRT to my desktop then when I tried to run it a box came up saying File Corrupt.