Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
mel032901
Accepted Solution

Getting red X for NIS (version 20.2.0.19)

Auto Protect, Sonar Protection, Email Protection.  All say they need to be fixed.  Fix Now does nothing...saying it's "Not Fixed."  When I go into Advanced, they have all been turned off.  I can manually turn them on but they won't stay on, or if they do Norton does not recognize it.

I checked it through the support option and it said that there was no problem with my subscription and my subscription status says that it's active and I have 254 days left.

When I try to do a Full System Scan it says my product is inactive.

Please help!!!!

Contributor
mel032901

Re: Getting red X for NIS (version 20.2.0.19)

And I am not getting any other error messages with an identifier attached.

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

Hi,

Can you check your system time and date are accurate.  Also click Support > Subscription Status to sync with the Norton servers and Support > Get Support and let auto-fix run and check your installation.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Dave

W W W  =  Wild Wild West.    Be careful out there!

Contributor
mel032901

Thanks for the response!

I did as you directed and it says that there is no problem with my subscription and Get Support said it found no issues.

I also ran NPE and it said it found no issues but I am still getting the red X and I cannot scan with my product.

I also tried Malwarebytes (which is always used in conjunction with Norton when I run a Full System Scan).  No issues were found with it either.

Not sure what to try next....hopefully ya'll can help!!

Contributor
mel032901

And I will not be online till tomorrow.  It is late here and I have work!  :)

Thanks again for any help.  It is greatly appreciated.

Visitor
kautostar

I have exactly the same problem. I first noticed it today November 27 2012, I am in the UK.

The problem is I cannot enable Antivirus auto-protect. I tried running the fix now and it says Auto Protect, SONAR Protection, Antispyware are not working.

I then went to the support page and was told to download the NIS removal tool and reinstall, but the removal tool would not download.

Subscription has 379 days remaining.

yank
Kudos: 2,229
Solutions: 510

Hi mel032901& kautostar,

I would suggest you both attempt to follow the link below and let us know the results.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&do...

Visitor
kautostar

[ Edited ]

Thanks Yank.

Sorted now, went to live chat support.

mel032901: I have put more detail in the other thread with this problem. But I would recommend you use the live chat support facility and then the person on the other end can remotely sort out the problem for you.

You will find the link under the 'Contact Us' button on the main support page.

Just a quick run through what he did: Ran Norton Power Eraser, downloaded Norton Removal tool (Internet Explorer did not work so he used Google Chrome). Make sure you have the files ready to reinstall NIS before running the removal tool.

After removing NIS reinstall, run live update and run a quick scan.

Btw: Thanks Shishir Shantilal Parmar at live support, I did not have time to thank you before.

yank
Kudos: 2,229
Solutions: 510

Thanks kautostar for the feedback - now let's see if mel032901 canget theirs sorted.

Contributor
mel032901

Hello!  I am just now getting online to get everything taken care of.  The link with the uninstall and reinstall worked!  I don't seem to have an issue at this time.  So I will solve the thread and hope that I won't need it again! 

I will take the advice if it happens again and go to live support or I guess I can run it again and see what happens.

Thank you so much!  I appreciate your help!

Mel