Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Megafrog
Accepted Solution

Getting the Norton Toolbar back onto Firefox from IE8

Hi. I had the Norton Toolbar on my Firefox v3.6.8 but FF was uninstalled (long story) on my Win7 64-bit machine. The Toolbar then went to IE8.

Now I am using Firefox Portable 3.6.8 and I can't seem to get the Norton Toolbar to work with FF because it's still on IE8 instead.   It works just fine with FF Portable 3.6.8 on my Vista 64-bit.  What do I need to know to make FFportable work with the Toolbar on the Windows 7 64-bit machine?  Thanks!

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

Re: Getting the Norton Toolbar back onto Firefox from IE8

Hi Megafrog,

Welcome to the Norton Community. What Norton product do you have? Is it Norton Internet Security (NIS), Norton Anti-virus (NAV) or Norton 360 (N360)? Also what is the exact version from Help & Support > About?

The Norton toolbar should be present on all supported browsers which includes both Firefox and IE. It is not just one or the other.

I would suggest as a starting point that you try the procedure outlined in the following post.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Unable-to-reinstall-NIS-2010/m-p/2303...

The MozBackup which it talks about can be found here.

Hope this helps and please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)
Visitor
Megafrog

Thank you for responding Allen M!  This is NIS 2010 version 17.7.0.12

Thank you for the link but that is for an INSTALLED version of Firefox.  My Firefox is Firefox Portable, which is specifically designed so that it does not need to be installed, uninstalled, or have anything deleted.  Installation was copying it from another machine, uninstallation would be deleting it.  For various reasons, the portable Firefox has the best setup for me.  I know the Norton Toolbar can work on a portable firefox because it already does on my Vista machine. 

Both machines also had a previous version of "installed" Firefox on them, it was uninstalled on both machines, and then the portable version was copied in.  These were months apart though, so I may have forgotten any other step between, but it seems like it *should* work on Windows 7 as easily as Vista. I just can't tell why it doesn't work.  On the "view / toolbars " menu Norton just isn't there.

I deleted some old junk that was left over from the original "installed" FF installation and rebooted.  That step didn't change anything.  What do you think I should do?  Is there something I could copy from one version to another?  Or even from the IE8 on the same computer to FFportable?

Thanks for your help!

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760

Check in Tools > Add-ons.  Is the Norton Toolbar listed?

Visitor
Megafrog

It's not in Tools->Add-ons, or even anywhere else in the Tools menu at all.

Super Spam Squasher
hvgsel

[ Edited ]

I assume you did change to FF Portable after uninstalling the normal version? Then Norton toolbars will not work out of the box.

Maybe this thread helps you then :

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Fixing-Norton-and-Firefox-3-Issues/m-p/28084/highlight/tru...

It's about N360, but toolbars are identical to NIS.

You will find the Norton plugin about here :

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_17.6.0.32\coFFPlgn\components

And you have to copy it to :

x:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components    where x: is the drive your Portable FF is on.

Bear in mind, that you have to copy it everytime the Norton plugin changes in it's original folder.

Hope it helps.

W8.1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 / XP3-SP3 with IE8 and FF 28, TB 24.4, NIS2013 21.1.1.7 and N360 21.1.1.7
Visitor
Megafrog

Thank you hvgsel for the suggestion.  I followed the steps in that link:

1. Download Firefox Portable > http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
  2. Install
  3. Copy coFFPlgn.dll to Components Folder
  4. Now Firefox will not Hang in memory and will have Norton Toolbar

Unfortunately it did not affect FFportable at all.  I restarted the computer just to see if that would make a difference but it did not.  I checked the view>toolbars and the Tools>Add Ons but neither listed the Norton Toolbar.  What is the next step?

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,436
Solutions: 528

Hi Megafrog,

You could also try reinstalling NIS 2010 - this has solved problems when the Norton add-ons would refuse to appear in Firefox even after completely removing Firefox and reinstalling it again, deleting and rebuilding the extensions folder etc. If NIS 2010 is the only Norton product on your computer, then you can follow the instructions below:

Note: the removal tool will wipe out your settings and any other Norton products installed on your computer. It will not touch your product key, however, and your newly installed Norton product should pick up your key automatically.

-first, back up your Identity Safe data beforehand if you use Identity Safe:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nco.nsf/0/e5a44e06f97b3f89882572260060120f?OpenDocument&seg=hm&...

-download the removal tool from here and save it to your desktop:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=1...

-download the full NIS 2010 installation package from here and save it to your desktop:
http://www.norton.com/nis10

-make sure you have got your product key handy (you can get it from your Norton account) just to be on the safe side.

-deactivate any other security software you may have, such as Windows Defender. However, please leave Norton running. As a side note: running two real-time security programs on one machine is not recommended.

-if you wish, you can create a system restore point

-disconnect physically from the internet (remove the internet cable) that way your computer is not exposed.

-if you are in Vista: right-click on the removal tool icon, run as administrator; run the removal tool 2-3 times, rebooting each time after every run

-after running the removal tool: if in Vista: right-click NIS 2010 icon, run as administrator, let it install itself. When it wants to connect with the web, connect again to the internet. By all means run LiveUpdate after installation and reboot your computer.

Visitor
Megafrog

Hi Yasu_Kuuhl

The computer with the toolbar failure has NIS free for 15 months through the manufacturer -- and they only have system recovery disks as opposed to individual disks to back up individual components.  I'm jittery enough with reinstalls from past experience and don't want to lose the 15 months or fumble with the question of whether I can even get just one thing back from the reinstall disks, so if reinstallation is the next step I'd rather wait until it does the auto-update to NIS 2011. 

I thank you and appreciate that you wrote the steps, but my past has been terrible when it comes to using the system restore disks with "auto bloatware hard drive domination." It is just way outside my comfort zone to risk a repeat of that again.  I just hope you have another suggestion.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760

Hi Megafrog,

When you uninstalled Firefox previously did you delete all the folders?  Your old profile may still be intact, as this is stored in your user account's application data folder.  Instructions for locating it are here.  If it still exists you could try copying it into your portable Firefox as explained here:

http://portableapps.com/support/firefox_portable#local_profile