Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
SkipMDMan

Google redirect virus removal

Hi all.

Yesterday I went over to an even less technically oriented friend of mine who complained to me about how his computer was running and found out he had that Google redirect virus on his computer. It didn't affect just Google but searches done from MSN and Yahoo as well.

I use XP so I know little or nothing about Vista Basic which is what he uses.

I can tell you this, the virus is blocking his computer from updating his Norton, or Vista, as well as blocking any downloads from websites. I tried everything I could think of to get past it to no avail.

I tried a search on here for some type of specific instructions on what to do but didn't find what I was looking for so I thought I would post this message.

Can someone walk me through the detection and removal process? Norton shows nothing when a scan is done.

When giving me instructions please remember that I am unable to download anything from a website so don't tell me to go out and get a program unless you can tell me how to get that part to work too.

Thanks in advance for any help in this.

Phil_D
Topics: 208
Kudos: 2,559
Solutions: 391

Re: Google redirect virus removal

[ Edited ]

Hi SkipMDMan,

You didn't mention which Norton Product you are using, but you can try this.

First start the computer in SAFE MODE while disconnected from the internet and run a Full Scan with Norton.

If you have trouble with that, we'll try another way to rid you of this infection.

Download, install and update the FREE version of Malwarebytes. (the Green Download Button)

(Knowing that the "problem computer" cannot download, you can download and save this program on another computer and transfer it via a flash drive to the problem computer.)

Once those steps are completed, unplug from the internet, restart the computer in SAFE MODE and run a complete Malwarebytes scan. If items are found, follow the Malwarebytes suggested procedure.

You should run the Malwarebytes scan a few times to be sure it comes up clean.

This next step is optional but recommended. Delete your System Restore Points by turning off System Restore. Many infections will become embedded in your previous restore points - therein lies the possibility that they may return. Also you may find that the malware has already erased your restore points.

Restart the computer in Normal Mode and check how things are working.

You can also follow the same procedure using the FREE version of SuperAntiSpyware.

Once you are completely sure your computer is clean, you can turn ON System Restore.

Please let us know how you do with this.

[edit:claified content]

Message Edited by Phil_D on 02-17-2009 11:53 AM

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

SkipMDMan

Thanks for the clear message.

I've downloaded the programs, both Malware and the other one and stuck them on my Mp3 player to take over there.

As for what Norton he has, it's the one he's paid a yearly subscription fee for, that's all I know.

Phil_D
Topics: 208
Kudos: 2,559
Solutions: 391

Please be sure to let us know how you do.

And, while you are working on the computer, see if you can determine which Norton Product and version is currently installed. There may be FREE updates available to the most recent versions.

Best Wishes.

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow