Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
caunderw

HELP!!! Issues with Uninstalling Norton Antivirus 2009 Removal tool did not work . . . .

I am trying to uninstall Norton Antivirus 2009 (which was preinstalled as a trial on my computer when I bought it), I have used the Norton Antivirus Removal Tool and have also had assistance from Norton Antivirus online product support . . . both instances after Norton Antivirius was uninstalled and the computer was restarted began a cycle of a black screen with scripts running to the safe mode options screen to the password login screen which after that goes to a blue screen with scripts running . . . Each time I went into safe mode and did a system restore and was then able to login. I then contacted Norton Product support a second time and was told it was a vendor issue and to contact my vendor (I was online with them for approx 2 hrs to no avail).

Please someone help!!! I have 8 days left on this trial!!! I want to download Microsoft Essentials but I hear I have uninstall Norton Antivirus first . . . .
floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Re: HELP!!! Issues with Uninstalling Norton Antivirus 2009 Removal tool did not work . . . .

Hi caunderw

From your description of your symptoms, it sounds like you have a malware issue on your computer. What version of NAV do you have installed on your computer now? With Norton products there is one removal tool which removes all Norton products on your machine. Where did you get this Norton Antivirus 2009 Removal Tool from? I can give you a link for the Norton Removal tool, but that will remove all Norton products on your computer.  Removing NAV would not cause symptoms like you are describing unless Norton was blocking some malware and by trying to uninstall your good product, that allowed the malware to enter into your computer and cause the problems you are having now. I think you need to do a full system scan with Malwarebytes and see if that finds any problems.

What firewall are you using with NAV 2009?

Please be advised that trying to install an antivirus program on an infected system will interfere with the proper installation of any security program.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because the malware writers some times block the security programs' websites.

If you don't want to do that, you can get the latest Norton Removal tool here

You can download the Norton Removal tool from http://www.symantec.com/symnrt

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Visitor
caunderw

Re: HELP!!! Issues with Uninstalling Norton Antivirus 2009 Removal tool did not work . . . .

I got the Norton Removal tool from the same link you provided, and I also had Norton's Product support representative login remotely to my computer and uninstall Norton . . . . I tried going to the malwarebyte anti malware website you suggested but it does not support Windows 7 . . . Do you know of one that supports Window 7 . . . also why did Norton not protect me from this . . . . thanks for your help . . .

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,294
Solutions: 263

[ Edited ]

Programs written for Vista will run in Win7.  I have Win7 and Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware run just fine on my system.

Also, if you can do a system Restore to point BEFORE you first tried to uninstall NAV, do that.  Then run the uninstall from the Add / Remove programs listing or the START menu.  After that, reboot your machine and see if it boots correctly.  The Norton Removal Tool is for a corrupt install removal which you do not have.  You have (or had) an OEM install of NAV and should of only done the uninstall from the NAV start menu.

Why did you use the NRT?  Was the above uninstall routine not successful?  Or did you jump to the NRT?

Win7 x32 SP1
delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Some malware will also prevent the removal of antivirus software because the removal tool is from the same antivirus developer.  I respectfully suggest that you visit one of the malware removal forums for assistance.

www.bleepingcomputer.com

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/

http://forums.whatthetech.com/

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
caunderw

I just jumped to it :( initially that is . . .  but when Norton Product support people uninstalled it they did it the regular way

Visitor
caunderw

Also I downloaded the malabytes anti-malware software,  they said one registry file was corrupted. . . . I have removed it . . .

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hi caunderw

Would you please post the log so we can see what was deleted by malwarebytes please.? You can do that by clicking on the add attachment right below this window. You can find the log in the malwarebytes program and copy it to notepad on your desktop and then attach it from there by browsing to it. Thank you.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Visitor
caunderw

The log is attached thanks . . . .

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Reboot your computer to Safe Mode. Then try running the Norton Removal tool. Let us know the results.