Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
de-rock
Accepted Solution

Help me install Norton Internet Security 2011

I currently run Internet Security 2010 and have about a month to go. I purchased Internet Security 2011. Unfortunately, the simplistic installation instructions bear no resemblence whatsoever to what I see on-screen. I had to start "2011" manually and when it finally responded, I was asked "Why are you leaving?" as though I was uninstalling all Norton products! What the sam hill is going on??? I'm a long-time Norton customer and frankly expect a more straightforward product than this!

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Re: Help me install Norton Internet Security 2011

Hello de-rock

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Please wait until a day or two before the end of your subscription. Please do not try to install your new NIS 2011 at this time since you will lose your remaining time of your current subscription. That is why I am asking you to wait until a day or two before the end of subscription.  At that time, please back up your identity safe file if you use that feature.

Please follow these instructions to save your Identity Safe information by creating NPM file.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nco.nsf/0/e5a44e06f97b3f89882572260060120f?OpenDocument&seg=hm&...

Thanks to Yaso for the link.

When it is time to update, please use the link I am going to provide. It will be more up to date than using the static CD. All you will need from the new cd is the new key which you will have to enter when it asks to be entered.

http://www.norton.com/nis11

Please run live update until no more updates and then reboot.

Please remember not to do this now as you will lose any remaining time on your current subscription. You will be able to install NIS 2011 right over the top of NIS 2010 if you are not having any problems with NIS 2010. When it's time to install, the program should ask if you want to keep your current settinngs. It will save some settings., but not all. If you have custom fire wall rules, you may want to take some screen shots of them so that you will be able to recreate them more easily if you should want to.

Another option is since you have a current subscription, you can upgrade to NIS 2011 now, but do not enter the new key now. You can use the link I posted above and install NIS 2011 now with the current key you are using now. When it is like a day or two before your sub  will end, then you just have to enter the new key and your program should then show the 366 days again for the new year.

To summarize: You can upgrade to NIS 2011 now with your current key and then wait till just before installation time, or you can continue to use NIS 2010 until just before installation time and then use the above link to install NIS 2011 at that time with the new key.

If you have any other questions, please come badk and we shall try to help. Thanks

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

de-rock

I clicked on the http://www.norton.com/nis11 link. My computer did something and eventually I rebooted. Then I opened Internet Security and performed a Live Update and rebooted again. I was never asked for my product key. I opened NIS and found that I still have only 15 days subscription remaining. Evidently nothing has been changed and nothing has been updated. HELP!!!

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,841
Solutions: 779

[ Edited ]

He de-rock,

Did you install NIS 2011 from the link?  Wait until you have one or two days left on your existing subscription, since inputting your new key will cause you to lose whatever days you have remaining on the current subscription, as floplot said.  At that time open NIS and click the renew link at the bottom of the window.  Do not click the Express Renewal button, but instead enter your new product key from the version you just purchased in the field below the button and click the arrow.  This will activate your product for another year.

de-rock

Thank you! I'm now renewed for another year! Many, many thanks!

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,841
Solutions: 779

You're welcome.  Good to know you're set for another year.