Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
thebetageek

High disk/CPU usage svchost.exe/chrome.exe

I get a file insight from Norton Internet Security that I have spike in my usage from svchost.exe and chrome.exe (Google). These are both needed apps so it could be malware/virus masking itself as these apps. Norton Internet Security complete sytem scan did not recognize. How do I fix? THANkS

Regular Visitor
panjok2

Re: High disk/CPU usage svchost.exe/chrome.exe

I get a message that says high cpu usage of crome as well! have u found a fix for this yet ?

Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus

The "problem" isn't with Chrome, but with Norton. It thinks the usage is "high", but is that detrimental? In many cases, a high CPU or memory usage is a good thing, not a bad thing. If I play Crysis, I sure want it to use all the CPU power it can, or it will not be performing as it should. Or if a program is doing some heavy and boring calculations, I'd rather it use 100% cpu for 15 minutes and then be done with it rather than use 25% cpu and go on for an hour. In both cases, I would not want Norton to warn me about something that is actually beneficial. Same with a browser. I often got warnings about high memory usage for Firefox. Well, I bought my RAM to use it... I disable the performance monitor.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

Basically, Norton is performing as it should in telling you that some app is using more than usual system resources.  It does not mean there is a problem.  If something unusual is using system resources, then you have a chance to take a look and see what is going on.

As Bombastus advises, if you don't require it or feel that it is useful or necessary, you can turn it off.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Regular Visitor
panjok2

I see what you are saying but how do I know that the crome.exe is not a fake? It comes up when I only have one page open and doing nothing but reading my facebook page or other simple tasks! I googled crome.exe using safe search and a result came up about the crome.exe virus! What do u think of this and is there a crome.exe virus? here is a link to the page about the crome.exe virus! I read the ehow site!  http://www.ask.com/web?q=crome.exe&o=15527&l=dis&prt=NIS&chn=retail&geo=US&ver=18

Regular Visitor
panjok2

could you please check this search result and tell me what you think about the crome.exe virus! I get high cpu usage even when doing simple tasks! http://www.ask.com/web?q=crome.exe&o=15527&l=dis&prt=NIS&chn=retail&geo=US&ver=18 

I don't know what to think! thank you and sorry for the long wait on the response! I thought i would get an email on this when i got a reply from someone!