Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
sosorry

How Do I Create Rules for New Open Ports for My Scanner?

Sorry, I totally don't get this.  I have a series of ports that need to be unblocked for my scanner to work.  How do I do this?  These are the ports:

TCP80

TCP/UDP8611

TCP/UDP8612

TCP/UDP8613

TCP/UDP137

TCP/UDP138

TCP/UDP139

Thanks.

dickevans

Re: How Do I Create Rules for New Open Ports for My Scanner?

Welcome,

Can you tell us a bit more about the system and its configuration? OS, how the scanner is connected, version of which Norton product you're running, etc. You know the basics nothing personal.

Thanks

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
sosorry

[ Edited ]

It's Win XP sp3, it's NIS 19.9.09, it's a Canon PIXMA MP780 (printer, scanner, copier, fax) attached by USB---how else in 2012?  :-)

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,847
Solutions: 779

Hi sosorry,

If the scanner needs internet or network access, the firewall should configure rules automatically to allow this.  You should not need to do any manual settings changes.  Are you having some issue with the printer?  If so, can you describe the problem?

sosorry

Yes, the computer has stopped recognizing the scanner.  The printer works fine.  The software all seems properly installed.  The only system change is the use of NIS.

SendOfJive

Is the printer connected wirelessly or with USB?

sosorry

As stated, USB.

SendOfJive

sosorry wrote:

As stated, USB.

Sorry, I missed that...

If it is USB, then ports are not involved and it would not be a firewall or networking issue.  Perhaps a driver issue.

sosorry

HELP!  HELP!  HELP!  This does not seem accurate.  All information flows through ports.  HOW do I shut down Norton to test if Norton is the source of the interference?  Is there some universal button?  Do I have to click everything that is green?  If I reboot, will it hold my settings?  PLEASE HELP!  I NEED MY SCANNER OR I MAY LOSE A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dickevans

sosorry wrote:

HELP!  HELP!  HELP!  This does not seem accurate.  All information flows through ports.  HOW do I shut down Norton to test if Norton is the source of the interference?  Is there some universal button?  Do I have to click everything that is green?  If I reboot, will it hold my settings?  PLEASE HELP!  I NEED MY SCANNER OR I MAY LOSE A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,
The all-in-one came with software. Is that up to date? I've had trouble with my HP and the HP Solution Center not communicating. I've also spent time with an HP tech trying to discover why the old version of the solution center software works and the current version, updated for W7 does not. It is working on another computer and the new version is working on a W8 system but I'm still fighting with the software and hardware trying to get all of the features working on my primary system.

Keep us posted

As for turning everything Norton off you can go into the settings and turn off the various features for set peeriods of time. Please use the shortest possible time so that you do not leave your system exposed on the Internet any longer than necessary. You might also consider disconnecting the Internet cable from the system if you can work without it for your testing.

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21