Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
mkanet

How do I disable those annoying notifications?

How do I turn on Silent Mode indefinitely?  To presume I always want to click on the close button for every single notification box is ridiculous. If I dont uninstall this software, I'd have to end up close that notification box over 30-40 times a day.

I searched on google for a registry setting to turn off Silent Mode completely but didnt find it.

Symantec Employee
viveksu

Re: How do I disable those annoying notifications?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You cannot turn ON Silent Mode permanently from the Norton Product UI, instead when you turn ON Silent Mode you will see a Alert asking you to select the duration of the Silent Mode, in that you can select a maximum of "1 Day". This is not recommended.

Symantec Employee
reese_anschultz

mkanet wrote:

How do I turn on Silent Mode indefinitely?  To presume I always want to click on the close button for every single notification box is ridiculous. If I dont uninstall this software, I'd have to end up close that notification box over 30-40 times a day.

I searched on google for a registry setting to turn off Silent Mode completely but didnt find it.

The answer to your immediate question has already been answered. I'd like to point out that you don't have to close the notifications, they will close on their own after a while. You also shouldn't be seeing that many notifications (at least, I don't.) What are the various notifications? Perhaps a notification specific setting change can be made to solve your issue.

Reese Anschultz
Senior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation

Regular Contributor
BajaBoojum

I agree- It seems NIS2012 has more notifications and even though they disappear quickly, they're a bit annoying.

A notification on/off option is a good idea.  I'd like the option to be notified when there is a problem, or if a scan found anything more than a low risk.

Symantec Employee
abhattaram

Hi mkanet,

Thanks for posting and I understand your concern.

For now, you can turn Silent Mode - ON for a maximum of 1 Day. May be this will help you. 

Symantec Employee
Psujitha

HI,

As I understand that you want to get rid of the notifications and since we don't have the option to turn on the silent mode permanently this secondary option might help you and it might work so please try it we do have an option to tun off the notifications permanently so that it will not keep notifying you and it will not effect the performance also

>>Under settings

>>Miscellaneous settings you have an option as Norton tasks Notification and Performance alerting

>>Norton tasks Notification please turn it off

>>Performance alerting please turn it off

>>under network settings--- intrusion prevention--notification--tun it off

Because the maximum notifications will be from these features so please try this and let us know whether it worked once you disable these notification features it will stop notifying you so that it will not disturb you

Regular Contributor
BajaBoojum

The only ones that really bug me are the scan results, since they pop up a few times a day with no real information.  Perhaps an option to turn those off if negative would help, too.

Symantec Employee
Psujitha

hi

you get the scan notifications only when it downloads some file all the other comes under the norton tasks notifications so please try tuning it off and also if you dont want it to be notified even when it is scanning a file that is downloaded then tun off the download insight notificatons alos

>>under settings

>>Web Settings

>>Download insight Notifications

Hope this might work if not please let me know what exact pop up your geeting so that i can guide you on that

Regards

Sujitha

Symantec Employee
abhattaram

Turn Norton Task Notification to OFF. (Settings -> General -> Norton Tasks) 

By default, the Norton Task Notification option is ON. You can turn  this option to OFF if you do not want to be notified about the background jobs. Turning off this option does not affect the execution of automatic background tasks in any way., so your system is still protected :) 

Regular Contributor
BajaBoojum

[ Edited ]

Sorry if I wasn't clear-  I was talking about the Quick and Full Scan results.  I like the Insight Scan notifications when I download a file.