Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
aaron123

How do you turn off Norton Safe Search?

[ Edited ]

I don't like how Norton has taken over Google Chrome's upper search bar and made it their search through ask.com, but I can't figure out how to turn this off.  How do you do this, and is this going to leave one of those annoying alerts in the icon on the taskbar?

**Edit, nevermind, I figured it out.  I was looking for a setting in Norton but it had just changed a setting within Chrome.

fckfckfck

Re: How do you turn off Norton Safe Search?

Hi,

can you pease tell me how did you turn off Norton Safe Search? I don't like Ask.com and all the suggestion I've found in the net don't work.

Thanks,

A.

yank
Kudos: 2,064
Solutions: 471

fckfckfck wrote:

Hi,

can you pease tell me how did you turn off Norton Safe Search? I don't like Ask.com and all the suggestion I've found in the net don't work.

Thanks,

A.

Hi A.

On the Norton Toolbar in both FF and IE9 there is the word Norton and their circled check mark just to the right of the Search box.  Left Click on the arrow associated with that icon and select Disable Norton Safe Search.

Is that what you were looking for?

Timoto

I have the same problem - This annoying safe search field has appeared with now clear way to remove it.

Come on Norton - Treat your clients with more respect: (a) do not assume they want it - Please ask and (b) make it easier to configure/remove.

Just to be clear, I have wasted ages on this - Even called support and let one of your "technicians" take over my screen for 30 mins plus. It was obvious that he had no idea either - jusdging by the way he was moving the mouse all over...

I have read ever forum entry and searched and searched... and searched. I hate being "beaten" by silly technology.

Before anyone asks: I do NOT have a Norton word, nor anything that can be clicked o that provides options. I have enclosed a screen capture. I have a "X" that turns off the IE addin, the search bar, a small black with orange outline house, a 'secured site icon, a facebook icon and a Norton Safe icon. Nothing else.

As far as I can see the only option that I can see is to turn the whole Norton bar off.... But I don't want to as I use the Safe all the time.

Norton, please, please sort this out for me (and for the others who like to control their online experience !). Thank you 

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

Hi,

You need to click the Customize Chrome button and go to Settings > under Search you will find Manage search engines...

I hope this helps.

W W W  =  Wild Wild West.    Be careful out there!

Timoto

My version of the Norton bar does not show the Norton word as you describe. All I have is a "x", the search field, the "Search" button, the norton black house (Navigate to safe home), an icon (currently tick) that show sthe status of the page I am viewing, a facebook icon, and the Safe (Cards & Logins)..... So no way to edit/adjust what is on the bar !

Please can someone from Norton help here as it is frustrating to have 'lost control' here. All I want to do (like a few otehrs it seems) is to turn off the Norton Safe Search element.... Is that really too much to ask ?

Thanks

Timoto

If this reply is for me (and similar others) then thanks.. except that I am operating IE9. Still seem no closer to finding a solution here.....

Have attached a screen shot of the Norton bar as it shows on my IE, in case that helps.....

Visitor
manoli

what you do is to click on the three white bars on the top right corner of your screen.Then click on settings.Finally, go to search and change it from norton to google.It worked for me

manoli 

dddiam

Still problems in Chrome. Cannot turn off Norton Safe Search.

I am running Chrome under Vista.

In the Chrome Settings, I made "Google" my primary search engine, and I deleted all the rest (including Norton Safe Search).  I closed and re-opened Chrome.  In the settings, the only search engine that remains is "Google".  However, whenever I do a search, Norton Safe Search still comes up.  Any suggestions?

In Norton Security Suite, I do have "Internet Intrusion Protection" enabled.  I want that, but I do not want Norton Safe Search.

What should I try next?

dddiam

Resolve my problems in Chrome. Figured out how to turn off Norton Safe Search.

I found the problem.  In Norton Security Suite settings, I had to uncheck "Safe Surfing".  Now I get Google instead of Norton Safe Search.