Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Spyware Scolder
JRosenfeld
Accepted Solution

How does Norton insight work? Scan time does not seem to be reduced

I have NAV 2009 on XP SP3. After clicking on Norton isight it shows only 5% of files need scanning.

Yet if I do a manual scan of my C:\ drive that contains the OS and program files (all my documents are on a second physical hard drive, D:\) It still takes about as long (~90 minutes) as it did when I did my first manual scan (months ago).

Scan performance profile is set to high trust.

I had expected that it would now take only about 5% as long, i.e. about 5 minutes.  Am I doing something wrong, or have I just misunderstood?wrong, or

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,791
Solutions: 776

Re: How does Norton insight work? Scan time does not seem to be reduced

[ Edited ]

Hi JRosenfeld,

The Norton Insight Coverage Meter actually shows the processes that are currently running on your system when you open Norton Insight.  Clicking on "Expand All" will show you the actual files associated with each process.  Trusted files that are associated with the running processes will be skipped during scans.  It is a very common misconception that the meter indicates the percentage of files on your computer that are trusted.  In fact it is only showing the percentage of trusted files in relation to the total number of files associated with current running processes.

Norton Insight will shorten the time it takes to run a full system scan, but not dramatically so.  However, Norton Insight provides other benefits to system performance in everyday operation.  These are explained in an excellent essay in the Norton Protection Blog that does a very thorough job of explaining what Norton Insight is, how it was developed, and how it works.

Many edits: Struggling for clarity.

Message Edited by SendOfJive on 08-09-2009 04:17 PM
Message Edited by SendOfJive on 08-09-2009 04:35 PM
Message Edited by SendOfJive on 08-09-2009 04:43 PM
Message Edited by SendOfJive on 08-09-2009 04:49 PM
Super Spyware Scolder
JRosenfeld

[ Edited ]

Many thanks for clarifying that and for the link. 

Perhaps I should open all my programs before running insight. That would maximise the number ofr running processes.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 08-10-2009 01:00 AM
SendOfJive

You're welcome.  As you can see by the edits, it wasn't easy!
Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

A concise, yet informative explanation.

I already have it bookmarked!

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

SendOfJive

JRosenfeld wrote:

Perhaps I should open all my programs before running insight. That would maximise the number ofr running processes.

You are correct that the percentage will change depending upon the number of trusted files on your computer and the number of processes that are running when you launch Norton Insight.  Whether this would have any noticable effect on scan times is another matter. 

Super Spyware Scolder
JRosenfeld

Yes, I realise that. I was not being entirely serious in making that comment :-). I've clicked solved against your explanatory post.