Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
mab57

How long should it take to optimize?

I just got NIS 2010. Most everything seems to be working fine. I tried to optimize, but it was still running after over 2 hours & 15 minutes. I cancelled it. Should it take this long? How long should it take? How often should you optimize & will it run automatically when my computer is idle?

I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Norton Fighter
mdturner

Re: How long should it take to optimize?

mab57 wrote:

I just got NIS 2010. Most everything seems to be working fine. I tried to optimize, but it was still running after over 2 hours & 15 minutes. I cancelled it. Should it take this long? How long should it take? How often should you optimize & will it run automatically when my computer is idle?

I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

How long it takes is dependant on how quick your PC plus how big your drive is and how fragemented it is.

It will not run automatically you have to kick it off manually as often as you feel necessary..

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

Super Keylogger Crusher
Morac

mdturner wrote:

How long it takes is dependant on how quick your PC plus how big your drive is and how fragemented it is.

It will not run automatically you have to kick it off manually as often as you feel necessary..

Actually by default it will run automatically, unless you turn off the "Idle time optimizer" setting in the MISC settings. 

I'm not even really sure why it was even really added.  With XP it makes some sense, but Vista already periodically runs the defragmentation program (which is what NIS 2010 does).

For people with 3rd parry defragmentation programs it is actually harmful since different programs don't place files in exactly the same  way so if a 3rd party defragmentation program defrags the hard drive and the Norton "optimizes" it, the 3rd party program will then have to defrag it again and you end up in a vicious circle.

Regular Contributor
mab57

I don't use a third party defragmenter. About once a month, I run the Vista defragmenter that came on my computer. It always says that my computer is running well & there is no need to defragment. Are you saying that Vista automatically runs the defragmenter weekly. Is it then recommended that you disable the Norton idle time optimizer? 
Super Keylogger Crusher
Morac

I'm not sure what is recommended.  I just thought it was odd that both Vista and Norton are scheduling the defragmentation program.  This won't cause problems, but it's kind of unnecessary.  Norton supposedly runs the defragmentation program any time new software is installed, to "optimize" your PC.  I've read that the Vista defragmentation program isn't particularly that good since it doesn't optimize free space.  If that's the case, defragmenting too often could actually decrease performance.

Personally I disabled it since I have PerfectDisk defragger.  Even if I didn't I'd probably disable it since I don't want Norton deciding when my PC needs defragging.

Keylogger Crusher
cinek

it took more then 2 hours on my pc
----------------------------------
NIS 20.2.1.22
Windows 7 64bit
Super Phishing Phryer
killyourtv

Well, for what it's worth, I did turn Idle Time Optimizer OFF, but I see that it has run and 'Optimized' my system anyway!

I'm using Diskeeper with I-FAAST turned ON and I'd certainly prefer that NIS not optimize my system when I've set it not to. :smileymad:

NS - 22.0.0.79
Windows 7 SP1 32bit
Contributor

killyourtv wrote:

Well, for what it's worth, I did turn Idle Time Optimizer OFF, but I see that it has run and 'Optimized' my system anyway!

I'm using Diskeeper with I-FAAST turned ON and I'd certainly prefer that NIS not optimize my system when I've set it not to. :smileymad:

Did you reboot your system after you have turned off "Idle Time Optimizer" ?

Super Phishing Phryer
killyourtv

Yes, I'm fairly certain that I did. As I recall it was among the settings I changed right after doing a fresh install of 2010, and I've done a cold boot since then. I'll restart again now, just to be certain, though. :smileywink: Guess I'll go install something afterwards and see if it happens again.

NS - 22.0.0.79
Windows 7 SP1 32bit
Regular Contributor
mab57

[ Edited ]
I decided to turn Idle Time Optimizer off. I did that yesterday & have restarted my computer twice. This morning, my computer was idle. When I checked the Norton Tasks, it said that the idle time optimizer ran again, after I had turned it off & rebooted several times. It doesn't appear there is any way to turn it off.
Message Edited by mab57 on 09-11-2009 08:53 AM