Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Spyware Scolder
Bulldoggy
Accepted Solution

How to Correctly Install a New License Key

I use NIS 2012 on Windows 7. My license for NIS 2012 will expire in a few days. I have purchased a new license key for NIS, not a renewal, and I am asking what is the correct way to enter my license key.

Apparently, Symantec does not want existing users to purchase new license keys - it only wants us to renew. To this end, if I go to my Norton Account the only option offered is to renew. If I go to the NIS program interface, the only option offered is to renew.

It seems that if I want to enter a new license key, I have two choices:

1. Wait until my current subscription expires and then enter the new license key as a 'renewal' - this method exposes my computer to security threats between the time my current license expires and the time I enter the new license key.
  2. Uninstall my existing copy of NIS, then download a new copy and enter my new license key -  this method likewise exposes my computer to security threats between the time my current license expires and the time I uninstall/reinstall with the new license key. Or I can uninstall/reinstall with the new key prior to the expiration of my existing subscription, thereby losing the last few days of my subscription.

In my experience with many other software applications, entering a new license key prior to the end of an existing subscription is effortless. Unless I am mistaken, this is not so with Symantec. Do I have any other options for entering my new license key other than the two described above?

Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus

Re: How to Correctly Install a New License Key

3. Don't wait until the subscription expires, but enter the new key a day before that. It will just switch over to the new subscription. You will lose the time left on the old one, so wait until there is only a day or so left. You don't have to uninstall, and you won't be exposed to any time without protection.

Spyware Scolder
Bulldoggy

Thanks for your reply.

I don't mind losing the last few days of my subscription,if that's the way it has to be.

However, I followed the method you are suggesting last time I 'renewed' my subscription, and for weeks afterward I got email from Symantec pestering me to renew my subscription. Any way to avoid the email?

Super Contributor
RMuruge

You could activate the Norton any time, if you lose the subscription days, you could contact the support, as they would transfer the days to the new key.

Super Contributor
RMuruge

To avoid the email, you could log into your Norton account and uncheck the Notification email option. That would stop the reminder emails.

Spyware Scolder
Bulldoggy

Email notification has been unchecked since I first created my Norton account. Nevertheless, last year I still got nagging emails warning/begging me to renew my subscription after I entered a new license key. I had to eventually filter the email last year, and I'll likely have to do the same this year.

Said it before: Symantec has the best technology combined with the worst marketing.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,033
Kudos: 2,815
Solutions: 375

bd,

<< Apparently, Symantec does not want existing users to purchase new license keys - it only wants us to renew. To this end, if I go to my Norton Account the only option offered is to renew. If I go to the NIS program interface, the only option offered is to renew. >>

With My Norton Internet Security 2012 I click on that Renew and after a moment the screen that comes up has a line in blue saying that I have a KEY

capture_09042012_130938.jpg

and when I click on that I get:abox to enter the key in.

Have you tried this?

Hugh
Spyware Scolder
Bulldoggy

Check other posts on this topic: That screen is anticipating a renewal license key, not a brand new license key.

Entering a brand new license key will lose the balance of your current subscription - which I can accept since I have just a few days to go - and will produce a stream of increasingly desperate email from Symantec warning/begging you to renew your previous license.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,033
Kudos: 2,815
Solutions: 375

Bulldoggy wrote:

Check other posts on this topic: That screen is anticipating a renewal license key, not a brand new license key.

Entering a brand new license key will lose the balance of your current subscription - which I can accept since I have just a few days to go - and will produce a stream of increasingly desperate email from Symantec warning/begging you to renew your previous license.

Sorry but that box is for any key.

If you use a new key then you get what the system regards as a new installation without having to reinstall so you lose the days which is why we recommend waiting until a couple of days before expiry. Losing those can be your choice for the saving you make by buying a new copy with a new key.

If you accidentally use a new key and lose a lot of days then contact the Norton OnLIne Support Team via the CHAT route as below and all the feedback we get is that they are quick and friendly and will add the days back in although they are not required to.

The emails are a different situation altogether andis not something you mentioned in your first message so I dealt with what I quoted from that message.

Believe me I don't post suggestions without reading the messages.

Hugh
Spyware Scolder
Bulldoggy

LOL...Just as I predicted, here's the first of what will be many emails from Symantec:

"You need to be aware that your subscription to Norton™ Internet Security expired TODAY

This means your PC is no longer receiving important security updates that protect you from online threats—including viruses, Trojans, spyware, hackers and identity thieves. 

If you're going online at all, we urge you to renew your subscription now and get Norton™ Internet Security."