Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Contributor
KBPrez
Accepted Solution

How to add Norton Toolbar to Google Chrome in NIS 2012?

I'd like to use ID Safe with Google Chrome, but I can't figure out how.  When I open Chrome, I see a button with tool tip "Norton Toolbar" next to the Chrome Settings button.  It has options to "Disable", "Uninstall","Hide Button", and "Manage Extensions".  When I check my list of Chrome extensions, there is something labeled "Norton Identity Protection - Version: 2012.1.0.30".  Not sure what this is.  The only options listed with it are "Disable" and "Uninstall".  I can't see how to make the toolbar appear.  Has anyone else used Chrome with NIS 2012?

NIS 21.2.x
Win8.1 (x64), Firefox, Chrome, Malwarebytes (FREE)
SGFC
Topics: 73
Kudos: 79
Solutions: 15

Re: How to add Norton Toolbar to Google Chrome in NIS 2012?

I don't use Chrome.

But have you tried right clicking Chrome under the website address bar and seeing if it mentions Norton Toolbar?

Or possibly under View, Toolbars.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit / Norton Internet Security 2014
Super Contributor
KBPrez

SGFC wrote:

I don't use Chrome.

But have you tried right clicking Chrome under the website address bar and seeing if it mentions Norton Toolbar?

Or possibly under View, Toolbars.

Hi SGFC, I've tried clicking just about everywhere, but no luck.  As far as I know, there is no option in Chrome to view available toolbars like there is with Firefox.  The only toolbar I have with Chrome is for bookmarks.

NIS 21.2.x
Symantec Employee
Thalir

Try to browse to a site that has a login page like gmail.com and check if the toolbar appears

SGFC
Topics: 73
Kudos: 79
Solutions: 15

Sorry I couldn't help you.

There must be some trick to it.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit / Norton Internet Security 2014
Super Contributor
KBPrez

Thalir wrote:

Try to browse to a site that has a login page like gmail.com and check if the toolbar appears

Hi Thalir, I tried 4 different sites including GMail, Fidelity, Citibank, and Twitter.  Still no toolbar.

NIS 21.2.x
Tim_Lopez
Topics: 353
Kudos: 1,512
Solutions: 890

Hello KBPrez,

I know this might be obvious, but I need to ask. Have you left-clicked on the Norton Icon in Chrome? Also, note that you can't show the Norton Toolbar on the Chrome Home Screen (where it shows your Apps, Visited Sites, etc). Try going to a webpage and then click the Norton Toolbar icon (to the right of the location bar).

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Symantec Employee
abhattaram

Hi KBPrez,

After NIS 2012 is installed on your machine the following  should help you setup ID safe:

1. Open Google Chrome ->www.google.com and beside the Chrome's Settings Icon there would be a Norton Icon. 

2. Click on the Norton Icon and the Norton toolbar should appear right under the address bar. 

3. Click on Identity Safe here and it will ask if you want to Setup Identity Safe.  

Incase, you see only Safe Web in the Norton toolbar and not Identity Safe, do the following:

1. Open the product 

2. Click on Settings -> Click on Web which is at the top -> On the left look for Identity Safe and Click on it  -> Make sure Identity Safe is ON  

After this, follow the steps above and you should be able to setup Identity Safe. 

Hope this helps you setup Identity Safe. :)

Super Contributor
KBPrez

[ Edited ]

After trying everyone's suggestions with no luck, I went back to the if-all-else-fails method - I re-installed Chrome.  Everything is fine now.  ID Safe works beautifully in Chrome and it's even faster than in Firefox.

THANKS EVERYONE for your help!

NIS 21.2.x
Visitor
BlessYahowah

What?!  What?!  Okay, I'll try that myself.  It will be great if it works!  Thanks for the heads up!