Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Arun277

How to find NIS2012 product key

Hi,

I just purchased a new system which comes with McAfee trial for 30 days. I have purchased NIS2010 and renewed it for 2 years. Now i would like to install this on the newly purchased PC

I checked for the product key but couldnt find one... can you pls help me to find the product key. Thanks! 

SUBASH_PRABU
Kudos: 257
Solutions: 90

Re: How to find NIS2012 product key

Hi

You can download and install your Norton Product from your Norton Account. Click download next to the Norton Product under the Products Tab and follow the prompts to install. You don't have to enter your Product Key to activate it, as the download is from your Norton Account.

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,054
Solutions: 367

Hello Arun277

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Before you install NIS 2012, you have to thoroughly remove McAfee trial version. First remove it with the control panel method and then reboot. Then please remove it again using the McAfee removal tool and reboot again. This is necessary because security programs go deep into your computers. After you have done this, then you can proceed with the previous suggestion. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Contributor
Snodgrass

Hello, maybe someone could help me,

In nis '12 isnt the Product Key stored somewhere, not in Norton Account but in a file that i can copy and save? if i decide to install 2012 again in case of a prblem will that Key still be there or should I copy the Key down on a piece of paper just be be safe. What do u think?

Tnx.

tom martins

SUBASH_PRABU
Kudos: 257
Solutions: 90

Hi

The Product Key will be there in a text file in My Documents/Documents -> Symantec.

If your Operating System has been reinstalled then you've to goto your Norton Account to collect it.

Contributor
Snodgrass

Hello subash_prabu,

thank your for telling me where to look, i will make a copy of the file right now.

Have a nice day,

tom martins.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,842
Solutions: 378

Arun277 wrote:

Hi,

I just purchased a new system which comes with McAfee trial for 30 days. I have purchased NIS2010 and renewed it for 2 years. Now i would like to install this on the newly purchased PC

I checked for the product key but couldnt find one... can you pls help me to find the product key. Thanks! 

Is that a typo for 2012 which is the current version or did you buy some old stock? No harm in buying an older version provided the activation key is valid and has not been used since you can upgrade to the current version for free while your subscription is valid.

If you bought from a third party like a store or on the internet you should have received an activation KEY with it, or with your renewal (who did you renew with? Norton on line?)

The activation key is usually 5 groups of 5 characters separated by hyphens but when you enter it into the box for it on the installed product don't try to enter the hyphens -- Norton does that automatically.

AND VERY IMPORTANT --  you must not just uninstall that McAfee product but clean up afterwards with a tool you can download from the McAfee website:  

McAfee Products > InfoTool 

The info link should tell you how to use the tool but let us know if you have any questions.

After you clean upo and restart your computer you need to install the NIS but if you did buy 2010 please first let us know and we will give you a link to a recent version of NIS 2012 that you can download and install and so avoid a lot of upgrading and updating.

Let us know what you bought and we can help you on your way ....

Hugh