Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
spooks
Accepted Solution

How to stop page ads/flash content from loading?

G'day,

Is there any way of stopping flash ads/content from loading? I watch lots of streaming content but find that flash ads take up bandwidth and slow down streaming....I know Zone Alarm (yep, hissss :)) had an option by which you could block said content and am wondering if this provision exists in NIS 2010?

Cheers !!

Volunteer
Vineeth

Re: How to stop page ads/flash content from loading?

Greetings,

We do not have any ad blocking or pop up blocking features available in Norton 2010 products. Symantec decided to discontinue their pop-up ad blocking feature as today’s Web browsers provide effective pop-up blocking solutions. In addition, the way ads are delivered has evolved on the Web so Symantec has removed their legacy desktop client based ad blocking functionality from Norton products.

IE8 contains a great ad blocking feature built-in, it's called "InPrivate Filtering". The InPrivate Filter  is intended to block content that may potentially share your information. read the following article to enable ad blocking feature in IE8.

http://on10.net/blogs/sarahintampa/Block-Ads-Using-IE8/

If you are using earlier versions of IE or Firefox, then read the document:

How to enable pop-up blocking in your Web browser?

Vineeth--

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,436
Solutions: 528

[ Edited ]

Hi spooks,

If you use Firefox, then you can install the add-ons AdblockPlus, NoScript and Flashblock :-) You will enjoy flash-free and safer surfing that way if you are using Firefox as your main browser.

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 11-24-2009 02:53 PM
floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,019
Solutions: 361

Hi Spooks

You can also configure Adobe Flash Player I believe. Adobe Flash Player has a settings manager where you can configure all sorts of settings concerning what gets saved, cookies even, all sorts of things. It limits ads too I believe. You can find the settings manager here.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,683
Solutions: 759

SpywareBlaster, a free program mainly intended to block the installation of spyware, also has a tool for blocking flash content.  Yaso_Kuuhl's suggestion to use Firefox and extensions is probably the best solution, however.
Super Phishing Phryer
Brubaker

Yaso_Kuuhl wrote:

Hi spooks,

If you use Firefox, then you can install the add-ons AdblockPlus, NoScript and Flashblock :-) You will enjoy flash-free and safer surfing that way if you are using Firefox as your main browser.

Hi spooks,

Yaso is spot on. One of Firefox's greatest attributes is its configurability, including a seemingly limitless assortment of add-ons. I use AdblockPlus, Flashblock and QuickJava. I can access Flash content when I choose, but otherwise I'm not disturbed. 

spooks

Thanks all- appreciate you taking the time out to answer this :)

Thanks Yaso, your solution works  like a charm

Cheers