Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
dprsys

How to turn off Norton Internet Security temporarily

Some programs are using a msdos window for backup, this is a problem with NIS. so I need to know how to turn it off, then turn it on (By "it" I mean the whole security system)  Is that possibla or di i have to uninstall?

Regular Contributor
swarnava

Re: How to turn off Norton Internet Security temporarily

Generally auto protect interfare most of the program. So you if you disable auto protect it is enough to disable protection. Read this how to disable auto protect http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080506155633EN&ln=en_US
Norton Fighter
mdturner

dprsys wrote:

Some programs are using a msdos window for backup, this is a problem with NIS. so I need to know how to turn it off, then turn it on (By "it" I mean the whole security system)  Is that possibla or di i have to uninstall?

Hi dprsys

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums

It is not possible to "turn off" the "whole security system". You can, if you wish, disable some aspects on a timed or permanent basis.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

Hi dprsys,

Welcome to the Norton Community. Can you tell us what version of NIS you have? You can find this from Support > About or Help > About depending on your product year version. Also what OS and SP (service pack) do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Can you give us a little more information on what happens when you try to run the MSDOS program? Is NIS giving you an alert that the file is not safe or what? Is NIS quarantining it? Please give us more details on this so that we can properly assist you. It is not recommended to disable parts of NIS but it is likely there is another and proper way to solve your issue once we have more details on exactly what hte problem is.

Also if you have anything older than NIS 2011, you are entitled to a free upgrade to 2011 provided your subscription is current. So please let us know and we can help you with that also.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)