Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
sonofwil

How to use parental control to block networked games

I have been so used to using the Norton Internet Security 2006 parental control to block networked games for my kids. With the latest parental control in the add-on pack, I can't seem to be able to block STEAM games like counter-strike or team fortress. Can someone please tell me how to configure the parental control to block these type of networked games? Thanks.
PapauZ
Topics: 392
Kudos: 1,025
Solutions: 374

Re: How to use parental control to block networked games

I think it's faster and easier to block the games in the firewall settings... Open the firewall program rules settings, find the .exe-s of the games, and set it to block.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.3.0.12

Visitor
sonofwil

Thanks for the reply but what I need is to control their access, not totally ban them from playing. I need to be able to set up accounts where I can control their access to playing such games, just like the parental control in NIS 2006 version.
Symantec Employee
sindhu_nag

Hi sonofwil,

We need some more information from your side regarding this. I have sent you a message via the community Private Messenger system.  Please look for the in the upper right hand corner of any community page.

Thanks,

Sindhu 

Visitor
sonofwil

Hi Sindhu,

If you were to take a look at the parental controls in the NIS 2006 version, differents accounts can be created to allow access to different categories of websites and there is a box called "Network Games" where it blocks access to network games like couter-strike and team fortress on my computer. So what I did was to create 2 accounts to have default account to always blocking their gaming and another account which does not. And since they do not know the password of the other account, my kids can only play the games when I am around to change to the other account. Please take a look at the NIS 2006 version where there is a box called "Network Games" to tick under "Blocked Websites".

Thanks.

Symantec Employee
sindhu_nag

Hi sonofwil,

I have sent you a message via the community Private Messenger system. The message explains an alternate way of doing the same.

Please let us know if it helped. 

Thanks & Regards,

Sindhu

Visitor
sonofwil

Hi Sindhu,

I  have sent you a message via the community Private Messenger system.

Thanks & Regards.