Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
j_l_s
Accepted Solution

Huge download

I've had Norton Internet Security '09 for almost 4 years, with annual renewals and no major problems for most of that time.  Suddenly I'm faced with an update of 210 MB -- an unprecedented size.  (They're usually not much more than 2 MB or so.)  Can this be correct, and any idea what's going on?  I'm on dialup;  a download of this size would take about a week to complete.  In practice it disconnects after a while, or the laptop (w/ Vista Home Premium)  gets too hot and shuts down.  

I tried submitting the basic question on the Norton help form but got a list of irrelevant topics in reply.

BTW, another odd thing I noticed is that it says my last definition update was 2 days ago  -- about when this thing started.  (Though that could be because I've been turning on Silent Mode a lot lately, in order to be able to use the laptop at all...?)

DavidThomas88
Topics: 133
Kudos: 51
Solutions: 20

Re: Huge download

j_l_s wrote:

I've had Norton Internet Security '09 for almost 4 years, with annual renewals and no major problems for most of that time.  Suddenly I'm faced with an update of 210 MB -- an unprecedented size.  (They're usually not much more than 2 MB or so.)  Can this be correct, and any idea what's going on?  I'm on dialup;  a download of this size would take about a week to complete.  In practice it disconnects after a while, or the laptop (w/ Vista Home Premium)  gets too hot and shuts down.  

I tried submitting the basic question on the Norton help form but got a list of irrelevant topics in reply.

BTW, another odd thing I noticed is that it says my last definition update was 2 days ago  -- about when this thing started.  (Though that could be because I've been turning on Silent Mode a lot lately, in order to be able to use the laptop at all...?)

that is a vary old  NIS  am not even sure norton is still updateing  it may be best if you upgrade too 2011 or 2012 if you dont want too upgrade too 2013 this yet   all so the upgrade is free 

peterweb
Kudos: 1,373
Solutions: 343

What version of NIS are you using now? Support - About.

it is possible that NIS is trying to download an upgrade version for you. You can go to Settings - Computer - Updates, and turn off Automatic Download of New Version.

You may have to restart your com;puter for the setting to take effect. Then try a manual LiveUpdate to see if it still trys to download the large update.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
DavidThomas88
Topics: 133
Kudos: 51
Solutions: 20

peterweb wrote:

What version of NIS are you using now? Support - About.

it is possible that NIS is trying to download an upgrade version for you. You can go to Settings - Computer - Updates, and turn off Automatic Download of New Version.

You may have to restart your com;puter for the setting to take effect. Then try a manual LiveUpdate to see if it still trys to download the large update.

hi

i think he said he was uesing Norton Internet Security '09 wish is a vary old

Visitor
j_l_s

Thanks -- yes, it's 2009.   If it were no longer being su...

Thanks -- yes, it's 2009.

If it were no longer being supported as such (and forcing me to a newer version), wouldn't they have notified me?

I continued renewing it rather than upgrading because I'd read about troubles caused by the "removal tool" and just didn't have time for dealing with anything like that...

Meanwhile I've found a 2-yr-old thread concerning a similar, seemingly "sudden" problem with the 2011 version.  There too it seems the pulse updates stopped:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/An-Appeal-to-NORTON-to-HELP-Dial-Up-U...

And no real resolution there!

I thought I'd try schlepping the laptop to the library and try downloading it on Wi Fi but don't even know if the computer could handle it!  But I can't really get to that for a week or so, and the underlying question is whether this unexplained download is something that would even be safe??  

Visitor
j_l_s

I don't see an "Automatic Download of New Version" option under Updates, but I just turned off "Automatic LiveUpdate" to see what will happen.

dickevans

Re: Thanks -- yes, it's 2009. If it were no longer being su...

j_l_s wrote:

Thanks -- yes, it's 2009.

If it were no longer being supported as such (and forcing me to a newer version), wouldn't they have notified me?

I continued renewing it rather than upgrading because I'd read about troubles caused by the "removal tool" and just didn't have time for dealing with anything like that...

Meanwhile I've found a 2-yr-old thread concerning a similar, seemingly "sudden" problem with the 2011 version.  There too it seems the pulse updates stopped:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/An-Appeal-to-NORTON-to-HELP-Dial-Up-U...

And no real resolution there!

I thought I'd try schlepping the laptop to the library and try downloading it on Wi Fi but don't even know if the computer could handle it!  But I can't really get to that for a week or so, and the underlying question is whether this unexplained download is something that would even be safe??  

Hi,
I've seen that type of thing happen before. It seems to happen when there is a minor corruption within the program and the net result is that it calls for a whole new copy of the software plus the updates so that it can repair itself.

The age of the version might also have triggered an automatic upgrade to the current version. This could happen when the updates for that version are going to be terminated. The update is free so long as your subscription is current.

The trip to the library sounds like a good idea. The technology changes between the versions will enhance your protection.

Keep us posted

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Visitor
j_l_s

dickevans wrote:

The age of the version might also have triggered an automatic upgrade to the current version. This could happen when the updates for that version are going to be terminated. The update is free so long as your subscription is current

Thank you!  Meanwhile, trying it again at home, it seems to download whatever small updates it can find, and then it will eventually time out on the gigantic one with a "Failed to complete" notice as follows:

Norton 2009 Virus Definitions
Norton Antivirus Definitions
Update Criticality: Recommended
Tech Support

Clicking on "Tech Support" finally brought me here:

Product Update Available!

Module 8920 Error 227
Installing the latest product may resolve your issue.

and then to

http://updatecenter.norton.com/ManualUpdate/Index?NUCSID=2&NUCVER=2009

which offers "A product update is available" -- it will have to run an installer (Norton Download Manager) for this  ---

but what is this, is it still the 2009 version? -- it also doesn't specify that it's free...

Is it recommended that I download this, then -- or would I do better to try to complete the 210 MB "Norton 2009 Virus Definitons"  on Wi Fi?

FWIW, I have 81 days of subscripion remaining.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,373
Solutions: 343

There have been many improvments since the 2009 version and any upgrade would be a wise decision.

You will still have a large download, but at least you will have all the latest features, and will be safe from being left behind.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
j_l_s

Fixed

After 3 days I started getting "At Risk ... Fix Now" notice, so when I got to the library I followed that path, and it downloaded the whole c.210 mg.    So it's back to normal for now although apparently still the 2009 product.  Maybe it was a program repair as you said.  Next time I will try to update for real!