Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Visitor
oddcookie

I think Norton is blocking a Java applet

Hi all. I'm a devoted user of NinjaVideo.net, and it's always worked fine for me until a few weeks ago. In order for the site to function, you have to run their "helper," which identifies as a Java applet - after clicking the link, you get a security message asking whether or not to allow the applet to run, and in order for the site's videos to work, you have to click "allow."

My problem is that I no longer get that security message asking me whether or not to run the applet. This problem only occurs on my laptop - the site and the applet both work fine on my PC, which leads me to think something on my laptop is blocking the applet automatically. I've fumbled around with my Norton settings, but I'm pretty tech-stupid, and I'm afraid I'm going to put my laptop at risk if I change too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,675
Solutions: 758

Re: I think Norton is blocking a Java applet

Hi oddcookie,

Was this working previously on the laptop or has it never worked?  What browser are you using and do you have any browser security add-ons, such as NoScript installed?

Regular Visitor
oddcookie

Hi SendOfJive-

I'd used the site and its applet for months on the laptop with no problems. I use Internet Explorer, and I doubt I'd even know how to install browser security add-ons, so no, it doesn't have any extras! :smileyhappy:

SendOfJive

Check your Java Control Panel security settings (Control Panel > Java (Other Control Panel Options > Java, if using category view) > Advanced tab.  Click the +Security setting.  If "Allow user to grant permissions to content from an untrusted authority" is unchecked, put a checkmark next to the entry, click Apply and OK.  Retry loading the Ninja applet.  If it still fails, go back and uncheck the box again, as that is the most secure configuration, and there is no sense changing it if it does not resolve your problem.  Post back on the outcome of this maneuver.
floplot
Topics: 209
Kudos: 2,010
Solutions: 361

Hi oddcookie

Maybe uninstalling Java and reinstalling Java would help if the other suggestion doesn't help.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Regular Visitor
oddcookie

SendOfJive-

I checked the security settings on Java like you said, and the  "Allow user to grant permissions to content from an untrusted authority" box was already checked. Since you said that unchecked is the safer setting, I unchecked it (thanks for mentioning that, by the way, I wouldn't have known which setting was safer). I re-tried the website just in case, but there was no change.

floplot-

I uninstalled and reinstalled Java, but no luck.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

In iE8, goto Tools, Internet options, advanced tab. Scroll down to Java, Is used JRE... ticked?

If so you can try "restore advanced settings", close IE and restart IE

floplot

Hi

Maybe something in the Forum of the program you are trying to use will help you with this problem. It looks like you have to use an older version of the player.

http://forum.ninjavideo.net/index.php?topic=40094.0

SendOfJive

Hi oddcookie,

Please go to the Sun Java test page to confirm that the program is running properly in your browser.  If the test applet does not run, there are links to steps you should take to fix the problem you may be having.

floplot

Hi odd cookie

Also please check out your div x player and make sure you still have the older version on that computer. According to the website of the program you want to use, there seems to be problems using the newer products.