Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
brkkab123
Accepted Solution

I've got a flash based tracking cookie that keep's being missed by NIS 2012

Norton Internet Security 2012 195.0.145 & 19.5.1.2 have both missed this tracking cookie for the past week, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional 5.0.1144 has been finding it daily for at least the past week. I did a System Image Restore from last Sunday yesterday, so I only have yesterday and today's log files. I made a screenshot of those, SUPERAntiSpyware's windows shhowing the threat and of the Windows\SYSWOW64 folder, which is where it's at. It's in the Macromedia folder  and it won't open. I tried using a online tutorial to change Flash's Settings Manager to change my settings. After doind that I had to restore my Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 pc, as all the computer magazine website's I use daily begin only showing comments without the article's the comments were for.I used Windows 7's Snipping Tool for the screenshot's  The forum won't upload either screenshot, which are both .png file's.

Contributor
brkkab123

Re: I've got a flash based tracking cookie that keep's being missed by NIS 2012

I think I solved this, but need to double check to make sure. Itook ownership of Windows 7's HOSTS file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and added the following line at the end and saved it. 127.0.0.1 secure-us.imrworldwide.com . That's the name of the website SUPERAntiSpyware said was producing the tracking cookie. Did I do this correctly? I also downloaded and installed HostsMan the other day. Which of it's HOSTS file site's are best to use ? It's currently using the one from mvps.org

floplot
Topics: 209
Kudos: 2,014
Solutions: 361

Hello brkkab123

One problem may be that you are running 2 real time security programs. The pro version of SuperAntiSpyware will interfere with NIS 2012. Do you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Contributor
brkkab123

Yes, Flash Player & Shockwave Player are all up to date in IE 9, FF 10.02 and Opera 11.62. From evrything I've read you can have more than 1 active anti-spyware program. It's apparently only 2 software firewall's and anti-virus program's that eill conflict with each other.

Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus

Why are you worrying about a cookie from secure-us.imrworldwide.com? It is not strange that NIS didn't detect it as malicious, because it isn't. 

Contributor
brkkab123

Not bad. I'm sorry, but when something tries to track you without your permission, that's bad. It's also funny that if you have Web Of Trust for IE or Firefox and you try to go to that website, it halts it and say's the site has a poor rating. Also search Google or Bing for that website. Every single element come's up bad.

Contributor
ukbobboy

Hi brkkab123

The easiest way of getting rid of  Flash Cookies is to use the free utility called Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2, it works every time and there is no conflict with NIS2012 or any other Symantec product.  In fact, I have used Spybot as long as I have used NIS (and that is since 2004).

Below is an edited screen print of Spybot deleting stuff, including those annoying flash cookies, from my WinXP PC.

UK Bob

Adobe Flash Cookies

Contributor
brkkab123

I had Spybot before and NIS 2012 wouldn't install until I uninstalled it. This one's even weirder, you also, can't use System Mechanic with NIS. Both according to Norton's online chat have a conflict w/NIS.

Contributor
brkkab123

Here are weblibks to Bing & Google searches about secure-us.imrworldwide.com . None of them have anything good to say and quite frankly, I can't believe that Safe Web doesn't block it & NIS doesn't block the threat. http://www.bing.com/search?q=reviews+of+secure-us.imrworldwide.com&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=reviews%2520of%...= & http://www.google.com/#hl=en&site=&q=reviews+of+secure-us.imrworldwide.com&btnK=Google+Search&oq=&aq...

Contributor
brkkab123

Here's Web Of Trust's results, if you attempt to go to the website. Just lovely the forum here won't allow me to post a screenshot of it. NICE SYMANTEC.