Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
cyberwasp

IE64 and NIS

I'm new to 64 bit and just found out there were two Internet Explorers. However orton Internet security Identity safe doesn't seem to install in IE64. Did I do something wrong or is norton still only 32bit. If not what do I have to do to get it to instll in the 64b IE. TIA

floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,024
Solutions: 361

Re: IE64 and NIS

Hello cyberwasp

Welcome to Norton Community Forum

Norton Identity Safe only works in 32 bit.. Some things work in 64 bit I believe. Microsoft still recommends that you use IE in 32 bits. To find the solution to your problem with Identity Safe, please check out this link.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Internet-Explorer-64-bit-problems/m-p...

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760

Hi cyberwasp,

There are few reasons to use the 64-bit browser and many reasons not to:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/05/29/q-a-64-bit-internet-explorer.aspx

xxJackxx
Topics: 18
Kudos: 36
Solutions: 5

SendOfJive wrote:

Hi cyberwasp,

There are few reasons to use the 64-bit browser and many reasons not to:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/05/29/q-a-64-bit-internet-explorer.aspx

That article is 2 1/2 years old. At this point there is a final version of 64 bit flash and other AV companies are supporting 64 bit IE which is now 5 years old. Norton is out of excuses for not keeping up.

lmacri
Kudos: 537

[ Edited ]

Hi cyberswap:

You may be interested in an article here on the Java support site which reads in part:

SUMMARY

64-bit Windows operating systems (which may be Windows 7, Vista or XP) come with a 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE) browser as the standard (default) for viewing web pages. These operating systems also include a 64-bit Internet Explorer browser, however using it is optional and it must be explicitly selected to view web pages. Note that because some web content may not work properly in a 64-bit browser, we recommend using the default 32-bit browser and downloading 32-bit Java.

The browsers currently supported by NIS are listed here under System Requirements.

-------------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760

Hi xxxJackxxx,

It is not just a matter of supported add-ons, which despite the recent finalization of 64-bit Flash Player, is still an issue (Microsoft SIlverlight, for example, does not run in the 64-bit browser).  The 64-bit browser is still not capable of handling JavaScript as well as the 32-bit version, making the 32-bit browser a better performer.

TomiRed
Topics: 86
Kudos: 162
Solutions: 27

SendOfJive wrote:

Hi xxxJackxxx,

It is not just a matter of supported add-ons, which despite the recent finalization of 64-bit Flash Player, is still an issue (Microsoft SIlverlight, for example, does not run in the 64-bit browser).  The 64-bit browser is still not capable of handling JavaScript as well as the 32-bit version, making the 32-bit browser a better performer.

Silverlight 5 supports 64 bit browsers.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- NIS 21
xxJackxx
Topics: 18
Kudos: 36
Solutions: 5

SendOfJive wrote:

Hi xxxJackxxx,

As for supported add-ons, Norton is one of few that doesn't have any. I like Norton and would like to be using it while I am burning up a paid license for it but I will not excuse them for not supporting 64 bit because if they don't feel that anyone cares they will never make the effort. As for the javascript engine the IE team admitted to putting more effort into the 32 bit version but it is really hard to tell the difference. Milliseconds are imperceptible to most and I hate that the browser wars have become about that. I really don't feel that the 32 bit or 64 bit IE 9 is a finished product as the UI for both of them is unpolished and lacking. Overall I feel the 64 bit is more responsive despite its slower javascript engine. ASLR is much more effective on 64 bit software. From a security standpoint I do not understand why there is such resistance to the 64 bit versions. I guess it will go more mainstream when Firefox releases their 64 bit version in the near future.

I can also name a couple of other security suites that include antispam that is fully compatible with 64 bit Outlook. I know the response to that will be that everyone should use the 32 bit, but I can say from experience that the 64 bit version is way more responsive and there are not any add-ons for it that do not work that I will miss.

I am not trying to argue with you and you make some valid points, but when I see other vendors with less resources than Norton making the effort I think it is time for them to do the same. If Norton would release a suite for advanced users that fully supports 64 bit and gives me the ability to stop it from auto deleting false positives I would buy a multiple year license the day it was released.

dickevans

xxJackxx

I'm not seeing real 'resistance' to going x64. What I'm seeing is the budget required to upgrade over 1,800 computers. That's a lot of tax money and even more justification. Support will come and we will change but don't look for either in the next few months.

If Norton is to be profitable they must keep the bulk of their resources devoted to the areas that produce the bulk of their revenue. As the shift from x32 to x64 grows I'm sure they will move with the trend. It all takes time. The bigger the object the harder it is to get it moving. The same applies when you try to change the course of a moving object. A few million computers is a few hundred different languages shouldn't take any time at all to convert. Nor should the cost be of any great concern. In a perfect world.

[end of editorial]

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Atomic_Blast
Kudos: 218
Solutions: 39

To xxJackxx:

You wrote:

As for supported add-ons, Norton is one of few that doesn't have any. I like Norton and would like to be using it while I am burning up a paid license for it but I will not excuse them for not supporting 64 bit because if they don't feel that anyone cares they will never make the effort. As for the javascript engine the IE team admitted to putting more effort into the 32 bit version but it is really hard to tell the difference. Milliseconds are imperceptible to most and I hate that the browser wars have become about that. I really don't feel that the 32 bit or 64 bit IE 9 is a finished product as the UI for both of them is unpolished and lacking. Overall I feel the 64 bit is more responsive despite its slower javascript engine. ASLR is much more effective on 64 bit software. From a security standpoint I do not understand why there is such resistance to the 64 bit versions. I guess it will go more mainstream when Firefox releases their 64 bit version in the near future.

I can also name a couple of other security suites that include antispam that is fully compatible with 64 bit Outlook. I know the response to that will be that everyone should use the 32 bit, but I can say from experience that the 64 bit version is way more responsive and there are not any add-ons for it that do not work that I will miss.

I am not trying to argue with you and you make some valid points, but when I see other vendors with less resources than Norton making the effort I think it is time for them to do the same. If Norton would release a suite for advanced users that fully supports 64 bit and gives me the ability to stop it from auto deleting false positives I would buy a multiple year license the day it was released.

I tend to agree with you.

IMHO, Symantec needs to use additional, targeted resources to bring all of this to fruition. Then again, if you stand back and look at the current Norton product lineup, I have to give them credit for trying to support so many different platforms and configurations with different needs. Quite difficult, but It can be done!

Atomic_Blast :)

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."