Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
katiebuglove
Accepted Solution

IP Address Has Disappeared

Can someone please explain this to me?

Category: Firewall - Network and Connections
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Category
7/14/2011 8:20 PM,Info,"IP address has disappeared from adapter Microsoft 6to4 Adapter and is no longer being protected (IP address: 2002:cfbf:c9c6::cfbf:c9c6).",Detected,No Action Required,Firewall - Network and Connections

Does this mean that I'm not protected?  It does say no action required, but still puzzling and scary to a novice.

Thanks for help!

Phil_D
Topics: 208
Kudos: 2,559
Solutions: 391

Re: IP Address Has Disappeared

[ Edited ]

Hello katiebuglove,

First, let me assure you this message is normal and is nothing to worry about.  I may have a few of these during the day.

The non-technical answer is as follows:

Depending upon your computer and network configuration and your usage habits, if your machine goes into hibernation or network activity falls below a certain level, your IP address may be released. Since your are technically no longer connected, protection is not required.  However, once normal activity resumes, you will see a message similar to:

"Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter............"

Hope that helps.

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Contributor
katiebuglove

Re: IP Address Has Disappeared

Makes perfect sense, thank you! I put my computer in hibernation frequently so now I see why there are so many of these entries.