Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
lmacri
Kudos: 633

Re: Identity Safe says not active in Firefox, but active in Internet Explorer

[ Edited ]

Hi randomname:

Sorry to hear the problem re-occurred.

Has anything changed on your system since your last post on 25-Sep-2011?

Symantec released a  NIS product update via LiveUpdate to the new FF7-compatible extensions on 27-Sep-2011 (see Tony Weiss' post here and noghere's post here showing a screen shot of the new Firefox extensions).  Were your Firefox extensions updated successfully?

Mozilla also released an update to Firefox 7.0 on 28-Sep-2011 and according to the change log there was a change made to Firefox Sync.  If you haven't already done so, it's possible an upgrade to FF7 might help.

Intuitively, I'm still not sure how you can use Identity Safe and the FF password manager on the same browser.  If you have an automated login set up on Identity Safe and you change the password for a web page, is the password saved in your FF password manager simultaneously updated?

---------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0.0 * Java 7.0 (v. 1.7.0.0)
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

lmacri

[ Edited ]

Ha!  My info's already out of date.  I see FileHippo posted a minor update for Firefox 7.0.1 on their site this morning on 30-Sep-2011 (FF 7.0 changelog here; FF 7.0.1 changelog here).:smileytongue:

------
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Visitor
cljl123

RE: Norton Toolbar for Firefox & I.E. as browser and Google as search engine-PLUS?

I have Windows XP Home Editon, Serve pak 3.  old , i know. 

i need to know many questions and I cant find them on forum, or seek out 'free tech' answers w/Microsoft, Norton.

Do i need to set a URL address in Firefox and how do i get my URL addresss to enter if I want to use botth IE and/or Firefox?

How do I get niorton tool bar on both?

I have a Dell Dimension 2400- I checked for updated drivers and havent been successful yet?  i cant afford at this time to pay for the answers, nor buy a new PC just yet?

help me with setting compatible for Windows XP-home edition 5.1.2600  the work a rounds i have spent nearly a month on, and wasting valuable time while i need to looking for employment.  my PC is not compatible to Run Windows 7 due to requirements.  I have Firefox 6.0.2.4262, and Norton Version 5.1.0.29.  Processor- Intel pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz (x86 Family 15 Model 2 2 Stepping 9 , speed 2790 MHz) , Memory 1280 MB.

lmacri

[ Edited ]

Hi cljl123:

This thread is dealing with a specific problem with the Identity Safe feature in NIS 2012.  If you have Norton v. 5.1.0.29 this sounds more like Norton 360, so your question about the Norton Toolbar might get better exposure if you posted in the Norton 360 forum here.

I noticed you already started a thread in the Tech Outpost forum here.  That's probably the best place to be posting if you have general questions about Internet browsers and driver updates for your computer.

-----

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0.0

Contributor
randomname

Hi lmacri,

I didn't update Firefox yet - I'm still on 6.0.2 thus my setup is still the same as last discussed. In the meantime I recreated a profile, and some time later the problem happened again :(

If the Toolbar is compatible with 7.0.1 I will upgrade and let you know - it can't get worse than that :)

To your question: yes, you get popups to save the pass from both programs - nothing wrong with that. You just have to press ok/no twice. The advantage of using both is: having sync for Firefox's tool, and nice login organization in Norton. Plus I have the passwords in two places, in case either one gets corrupted (I don't completely trust any of these tools)...

lmacri

[ Edited ]

Hi randomname:

Could you please read through PortaTech's post here titled Come On!.  PortaTech reported a problem with Identity Safe (NIS 2012 only, not with NIS 2011) and I noticed in message # 3 of that thread that PortaTech is using the LastPass Password Manager add-on in their Firefox browser.

Did you install an add-on similar to LastPass Password Manager, or do you just use the native password manager in FF (Tools | Options | Security | Passwords | Remember Passwords)?  It might be helpful if you posted a screenshot of your extensions as they are listed in your Firefox Troubleshooting window (Help | Troubleshooting Information).  Other users in PortaTech's thread mentioned that there were only particular web sites that caused a problem with Identity Safe logins in NIS 2012, and it's possible your new Firefox user profile was corrupted after you visited one particular web site.

Here's what my FF 6.0 extensions look like with NIS 2011.  I do not have any password management add-ons installed in FF and do not use the native password manager in FF or the Firefox Sync feature.  Ignore my disabled Java Console extension for now - this is the default in FF6.  Instructions for posting screenshots in the forum can be found here.

Firefox Troubleshooting.jpg

----------

Contributor
randomname

It's only the native FFx password manager that I use.

Now that I upgraded to FFx 7.0.1 the NIS is activated again, yay!

However, now the Norton Safety Minder is not compatible with FFx 7 anymore (even after latest update 1 minute ago+reboot). And gone is my child's account protection. Sorry to say, but this becomes very annoying.

nsm-disabled.png

lmacri

[ Edited ]

Hi randomname:

I learned two interesting things today after reading your post:

1. There is a separate forum for Norton Online Family here.
  2. There is a thread pinned in the Norton Online Family forum here titled Firefox Support, and the last post in that thread from Symantec employee KatieQ states that Symantec is aware there is a known compatibility issue with FF 7.0.1 and Norton Safety Minder v. 2.2.0.34.

Sorry, it looks like you can't catch a break.:smileyvery-happy:

On the bright side, it's good to hear your Identity Safe is active again.  The change log for FF 7.0.1 here gives me hope that the fix is permanaent, but it almost sounds too good to be true given all the problems you've had with your FF6 test profile crashing after a week or so.  Keep an eye on it just in case it turns out that browsing to one specific web page causes Identity Safe to deactivate again.

I assume the problem with your child's account protection is connected to the FF7 issue with Norton Safety Minder, but if you don't believe the two problems are related just post back with more details and we'll figure it out.

Edit:

You may want to move your "Solved" flag to message # 27 once you're certain that the upgrade to FF 7.0.1 is a better solution so users following your thread know that creating a test profile in FF6 was only a temporary fix.

-------