Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Administrator
Dave_Coleman
Accepted Solution

Incorrectly identifying Facebook as fraudulent.

[ Edited ]

If you are still being affected by the issue, please review the following information about applying the update:

• NIS 2012 users may run LiveUpdate and the configuration change should be applied directly within the LiveUpdate session.

• Pre-2012 product users will need to run LiveUpdate then wait for the machine to enter idle mode. 

For most users with default settings, idle mode will run after 10 minutes of no activity on your machine. 

The Norton product settings may be used to temporarily reduce the idle time threshold to 1 minute to make the wait shorter – from the main UI go to “Performance”, then “Norton Tasks”, then change the “Idle Time Out” value to 1 minute.  After the idle condition has occurred, be sure to return the setting back to the original value.

If you are unable to allow your machine to go idle, eventually the Norton product will automatically perform this update regardless of the idle state.

Please keep all discussion on this issue (whether or not the fix is working for you) in this thread.

Super Keylogger Crusher
mattsegers

Blocking Facebook??

[ Edited ]

********************UPDATE FROM THE COMMUNITY MANAGER********************

As this thread is rather long, I will update this first post so the latest information is easy to find.

There is an issue where Norton products are detecting facebook.com as a potentially fraudulent website, and blocking access to the site. We released a new set of Web Protection definitions that will resolve this issue. The Web Protection definitions have been updated to include both http://www.facebook.com and https://www.facebook.com. We recommend that you run LiveUpdate, clear your browser cache, and the site should load properly.

If you're running a version of NIS older than 2012, I recommend that you Run LiveUpdate, clear your browser cache, and you'll need to wait for your NIS Idle Time to hit (default is 10 minutes). This means that you don't do anything at your system for that time, letting your system go "idle". You can also go to Advanced Settings in NIS to make idle time shorter. Be sure to change it back when you're done.

As always, we recommend that you update to the latest version of NIS, which you can download and install for free with a valid NIS subscription: http://updatecenter.norton.com

Appears to only be happening in chrome, for some very strange reason

seriously.jpgMatt 

"The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."
- Mark Twain
ReganGust

why is Norton blocking my Facebook access as a "phishing site?"

Posted from Facebook
Super Keylogger Crusher
mattsegers

Re: Blocking Facebook??

scratch that, happens in IE9 as well

"The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."
- Mark Twain
Super Keylogger Crusher
mattsegers

Re: why is Norton blocking my Facebook access as a "phishing site?"

Seems to be an error right now. Posted about the same thing just moments after you - Nothing to worry about though, Im sure. for now just click "continue to site" for now, I'm sure it will be fixed quickly :)

- Mark Twain
akaleikeike

Doing it to me as well. I'm using IE9. And this is annoying.

EtienneKiesel

i want to know this too
Posted from Facebook
dglad

Same here, using Firefox. Norton is clearly choking on something.

nokomarie

Well, at least I'm not alone.

CarinaBella

Norton is blocking my Facebook ... VERY annoying. Any help?

It was fine 8 hours ago. I can log onto my page once only and then any move results in the Norton blocked page. SUPER annoying. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Posted from Facebook