Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
madscien

Interactive Services dialog detection, Malware symptom?, Norton didn't detect it

OK friends... This came up and won't go away..Is it a symptom of Malware?

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. I do a lot of personal stuff online, as many of us do, and when this started last night before an online banking session, I used another PC.

I can't get rid of it.

The Window:  Interactive Services dialog detection,

stating The program may need information or permission to complete a task

When I Show the program details, it says:

Message Title: Windows Internet Explorer

Program PAth: c:\Windows\system32\IEFRAME.dll

Received Yesterday, September 04, 2010, 11:17:56 PM

This problem happens because of partial incompatibility with Windows.

Please contact the program or device manufacturer(s) for more information.

I have changed nothing, It just started when I powered up and opened Firefox.

And if Windows Explorer, which I am NOT running, has a compatibility issue with Vista, wouldn't Microsoft fix it before releasing it? So why the message about something I'm not running

Have I uncovered a new Malware infection?

Norton scans have not detected anything.....

NOW, Microsoft has downloaded a new browser in the background, which I don't especially want (because of vulnerability issues that MS browsers have always had).

Having just dealt with rootkit on another machine, this persistent pop-up is scary.

I have looked online, and

some people disable these messages,

others say you shouldn't  ever do that

and yet others that say it's a sign of Malware>.....No consensus.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

Re: Interactive Services dialog detection, Malware symptom?, Norton didn't detect it

It seems to be one of those really aggravating things Microsoft adds to the software to increase security.  It may have been triggered by new MS updates, or by a file lost in the malware removal.  It is only a suggestion of malware depending on where the affected file or program is coming from.  This info might help.

http://itsvista.com/2007/04/interactive-services-detection/

It may also be a Dell issue as there are other reports of this and a link to possible fixes.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/947840-windows-vista-interactive-services-dialog.html

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Regular Contributor
madscien

Re: Interactive Services dialog detection, Malware symptom?, Norton didn't detect it

Hi Delphinium, I seem to bump into you a lot lately!

Will take a look at the links later, off visiting friends shortly. This is not the same machine we disinfected. The other was XP Pro.

This just came out of the blue, and as you said, I am suspicious it came as part of an automatic update.

The odd thing is it implies there is a compatability issue with an MS program I am not running.

On the other hand, it might be Microsoft finding a clever way to reject Firefox (I will try MS browser and see if the message still comes up).

After that last 9-day battle, I am suspicious about this. There are a TON of posts about this pop-up on the net, but many date back a ways and I don't see a flurry of recent complaints as would be expected with a new malware outbreak.

Gauging by the number of people who have read this posting, I am not alone.

delphinium

People on the Dell forum have been having six fits over it for a couple of days. 

Mark Twain
Regular Contributor
madscien

Yeah, thanks Delphinium, I see that.....tons of complaints. I believe it is not a virus or malware but instead some sort of Vista-Dell compatibility issue.

To get rid of the problem I did a system restore to September 4. It got rid of I believe 2 Windows Vista automatic updates, including this one that MAY be the culprit:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows Vista x86 (KB982670)

I have switched to manual updates until a few days pass leaving today as a restore point (only one per day)  then I'll try updating again, one update at a time, and see if/when the bug returns.

Isn't it a pain that the PC makers, as well as all software companies don't have a clear-cut complaint mechanism, but instead send you to forums to find the hundred other people with the same problem, and the one person who has figured it out?

For this one...many suggested, and MOST people have just turned off the security message.

I can't believe that is good, though I wouldn't mind if Norton stopped telling me it has deleted cookies (because who really cares?)

delphinium

When you think of all the little bits of code that go into just the operating system, and then add another zillion bits to make it secure, decorative, musical, and otherwise useful, it really is a miracle that it works at all.  When a computer works flawlessly, I suspect that it just means the background errors aren't serious enough to make themselves noticeable yet. :smileyvery-happy:

I hope all goes well for you in the near future.

Mark Twain