Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
charentejohn

Internet security removal does not work - provided by ISP

Can anyone help please, losing sense of humour...............

I have run the removal tool lots of times now, it says deleting this and that but it is sadly mistaken.

I am using XP and the security is provided by my ISP, tried the uninstall ISP version and 'bought' version, same result - nada.

Was version 2011 but automatically upgraded to 2012 recently.

This worked on another PC where it was a bought version, removed no problem.

So what is the problem here ?  I could understand if it said X is wrong and I can'tt continue but it just says 'job done have a nice day' but nothing has changed.

Is there some setting I can use to allow this to work, I assume the removal tool is recieving mis-information but isn't smart enough to know it is deleting nothing ?  Can I do something to help it know this.  Nothing too technical please. 

Seems pointless to just keep running the NRT.  ISP is Orange who, naturally, deny they are doing anything.  Please themselves as I have stopped paying for the licence so now have a free service.  Would rather see it gone though.

Any help appreciated.   John  

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

Re: Internet security removal does not work - provided by ISP

Hi charentejohn,

Welcome to the Norton Community. You have Norton Internet Security (NIS), is this correct? If as you say, NIS was not removed with the use of the Norton Removal tool then please tell us the version you have which you can find from Support > About.

Also, your Norton 2011 product would not have been upgraded to 2012 automatically. Only updates within the current product year are done automatically with no user intervention. Further, 2012 is still in BETA and not intended to be installed on "production" computers.

Do you have any other security software already installed besides NIS? Did you install Orange's security suite before attempting to uninstall NIS? If so, this could have caused problems for you because you would have had two security software installed at the same time which could cause conflicts.

What specifically leads you to believe that NIS was not removed? Is it because you see NIS being present in the task tray or because you see a couple of Norton directories left behind?

Have you tried uninstalling NIS from the Control Panel before running the Norton removal tool? If not, please try this. If you still have problems then try booting to SAFE mode and try from there.

Just to make sure you have the latest removal tool, you can download again from here.

If you have not already downloaded Orange's security suite (I believe they use McAfee) then I would recommend downloading that first before uninstalling NIS. You should be disconnected from the Internet until you have your new security software installed so that you are not left unprotected while connected to the Internet.

Also you mentioned you stopped paying for the NIS license. Does this mean that NIS is expired? If it is expired, how long was it in this state without a replacement security software being installed?

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)
Visitor
charentejohn

Allen, thanks for replying

Version is 7.12-2 I thought I had 2012 just because it suddenly upgraded to putting the ticks on web sites which it didn't do before.  Totally baffled by some of this, I am a plug and play fan, I just want it to work and not confuse me.

The new NIS menus showing status etc have less info on them than before but I can see one which says my contract is valid, whether for Orange in general or NIS I don't know.   I did hope I would see an expiry date in the hope that once past that it would turn itself off and allow removal but no date given.  Payments stopped today but Orange may just be slow at withdrawing the service, I had hoped to start this morning and see it disabled.

No other security software running, NIS came with the Orange package, I did have a horrible feeling that Orange may just keep reinstalling it every time the computer restarts.  No way of telling.

I always thought that using uninstall to remove NIS caused problems in that it would then be unable to find files etc.  

Is it okay to use the XP uninstall option which should stop NIS working, then the removal tool will work ?

At this stage (5 hours wasted so far) I will risk some identity theft and hard drive damage just to get this removed, so whatever it takes........

Visitor
charentejohn

Sorry, didn't say what happened after 'removal'.   All NIS functions working as before, no changes, restarting PC or not restarting makes no difference.

One point to note is that removal says it will restart the PC when finished but it doesn't, sometimes just hangs or shows a screen offering norton products.

AllenM

HI charentejohn,

Can you clarify? You said NIS came with your Orange package but I believe that Orange uses McAfee and not NIS. Please see the following:

http://shop.orange.co.uk/broadband/broadband-explained#

The version number you mentioned is not a valid version of NIS. NIS would have a version number in the format of: xx.xx.xx.xx such as 18.6.0.29.

Can you post a screenshot of your main Norton window? Please see the following post for how to attach a screenshot image to your post.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/25...

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Keylogger Crusher
RichD

Hi charentejohn,

Could you clarify a few things for us?

1. Who is your ISP? Is it Orange.fr in France?

2. Which "Orange" anti-virus product do you have?   A Google search of the Internet shows at least 3 different antivirus products that use the name "Orange"

a. McAffee Internet Security
http://www.orange.co.uk/membercentre/security/default.htm

b. l'Anti-virus firewall V7 d'Orange
http://assistance.orange.fr/presentation-de-l-anti-virus-firewall-v7-d-orange-1575.php

c. Sophos Anti-Virus 7.3.0 (Orange Anti Virus)
http://orange-anti-virus.fyxm.net/

3. Are you in France, by any chance?  If so, there is a Communauté Norton website http://fr.community.norton.com/  that has some threads concerning Norton Removal Tool, and also some posts about the Anti-virus firewall V7 d'Orange.

Outil de désinstallation Norton
http://fr.community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Outil-de-d%C3%A9sinstallation-Nort...

If we had more specific information about your environment there, we would be in a better position to help.

RichD

_________

HP-Mini 110 -1020NR (netbook) 2GB RAM, CPU N270 @1.60GHz, Windows XP Home, SP3, NIS 2011 18.6.0.29 (installed 12h00 GMT 18-JUL-11) , FF5,IE8

AllenM

Hi charentejohn,

Also, what SP (Service Pack) do you have with XP?

You can determine this is several ways. One is to go to Start menu and type winver in the RUN box and hit Return.

Best wishes.

Allen

Visitor
charentejohn

XP is version 5.1 SP3

Well spotted, I am in France, adds another level of complication as messages meke less sense when translated.

Not sure what NIS version I have, lots of menus but nothing that gives a version, could be staring me in the face but nothing I can see as such.

Still worrying that removal could be stopped by a wrong version of something, still have Orange as culprit.

Question - when removal has run should the icons on the screen disappear, or only after restarting (which it doesn't do).  

cjscreen.jpgadds

Symantec Employee
PieterV

I think that is F-Secure, not Norton.

Pieter

Keylogger Crusher
RichD

[ Edited ]

If this is indeed F-Secure, is the product in question "Internet Security 2011" ?

http://www.f-secure.com/fr_FR/products/

If so, F-secure has offices in France that might provide some local support:

F-Secure SARL France
38/44 rue Jean Mermoz
78600 Maisons Laffitte
France
Tel.  +33 820 000 759
Fax   +33 820 025 508
e-mail commercial: sales-france@f-secure.com
Support particuliers: support-fr@f-secure.com
Support sociétés: france-support@f-secure.com
www.f-secure.fr

http://www.f-secure.com/fr_FR/support/home-office/product-support/

They also have a forum/ discussion board for the product.

RichD

________

HP-Mini 110 -1020NR (netbook) 2GB RAM, CPU N270 @1.60GHz, Windows XP Home, SP3, NIS 2011 18.6.0.29 (installed 12h00 GMT 18-JUL-11) , FF5,IE8