Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Spyware Scolder
whiplash

Re: Internet security won't install properly in Windows 7

[ Edited ]

habylab,

if you "upgraded" to windows 7 rtm from windows 7 rc and didn't do a clean install, that is probably the problem. Even Microsoft says that this isn't supported.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx

Unsupported Upgrade Scenarios
  • Upgrades to Windows 7 from the following operating systems are not supported: 

• Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP, Windows Vista® RTM, Windows Vista Starter, Windows 7 M3, Windows 7 Beta, Windows 7 RC, or Windows 7 IDS

• Windows NT® Server 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server® 2003, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2008 R2

• Cross-architecture in-place upgrades (for example, x86 to x64) are not supported.

• Cross-language in-place upgrades (for example, en-us to de-de) are not supported.

• Cross-SKU upgrades (for example, Windows 7 N to Windows 7 K) are not supported.

• Upgrades from Windows Vista to Windows N, Windows K, Windows KN, or Windows E are not supported. 

• Cross-build type in-place upgrades (for example, fre to chk) are not supported.

• Pre-release in-place upgrades across milestones (for example, Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 RTM) are not supported.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of things won't work properly if you used an unsupported method of installing the software. I bet it brought a lot of the bugs from 7 RC with it.

I would suggest doing a nice clean installation of Windows 7. It may be a little bit of a hassle to do this but its better to do it now then later.

editted - heres another link from a microsoft blog http://www.microsoft.com/windows/post.aspx?p=aec91eb3-1496-4fe5-a3b4-ea9ace4e00e0

Message Edited by whiplash on 01-07-2010 12:06 PM
----
"you better watch out for the whiplash!! thank you for taking the time to read my signature lol! ;]" -- Kaiser Wilhelm
Contributor
Habylab

Its perfectly fine. Only Norton doesn't work...
delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

Norton is a sensitive program.  If it is installed over an improperly configured, although working, operating system, you may have problems that we can't help you to fix.  It is very difficult to advise you when the basics have not been done correctly.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Contributor
Habylab

You say Norton is sensitive, don't you mean poor? I mean, I had Norton 2006, which was appaling. Computer slowed down to a halt. This one is much better, but you have just redone it, just like my computer the wrong way. So why is only norton not working?
thefandango

[ Edited ]

I am finding it is not working either.

Message Edited by thefandango on 01-08-2010 10:50 AM
Message Edited by thefandango on 01-08-2010 10:50 AM
Super Spyware Scolder
whiplash

Habylab wrote:
Its perfectly fine. Only Norton doesn't work...

the OS is the foundation of the computer. if you don't have the foundation set right and set how its supposed to be, you cant expect things to work fine when built on top of it. you may find later that other programs wont work properly either. if you are interested in having a computer that is working well and the way its supposed to then do a correct installation of windows 7. if you want to continue to just tweak things to try and get them to work right and dont really care about the stability of your entires system, then keep your os installed that was upgraded from a buggy rc. from what i can see this isnt a nortons problem but a problem with an os that isn't placed on the computer in the right way. even microsoft would say its not done the right way.
----
"you better watch out for the whiplash!! thank you for taking the time to read my signature lol! ;]" -- Kaiser Wilhelm
delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

[ Edited ]

thefandango:

Unless you have done the same thing as the OP, you should start a new thread.

habylab:

Norton works perfectly in my system, which was a clean installation of Win 7, as recommended by Microsoft.

Message Edited by delphinium on 01-08-2010 12:32 PM
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain