Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
DC2
Visitor
DC2
Accepted Solution

Is it okay to disable Symantec NCO BHO?

I just got a new computer and loaded Norton 360 on it.  Doing this has added a Norton toolbar in IE8 and I think I want to get rid of it.  So when I click the X to remove the toolbar, or uncheck the toolbar in the Tools menu, I get a warning telling me that it is also going to disable the Symantec NCO BHO add-on.

So I'm wondering what that is, and do I care if it is disabled or not?

Thanks!

DC2

Symantec Employee
Pi

Re: Is it okay to disable Symantec NCO BHO?

DC2, that is your Norton Safe Web, Identity (ID) Protection, etc. Basically, it protects you from dangers on web sites. It is recommended you leave this feature on for protection.
DC2
Visitor
DC2

Do those features work when I am NOT using the Search in the Norton Toolbar?

I ask because I prefer the Google Toolbar for Searches and want to use that instead of the Norton Toolbar.

Thanks!

DC2

dickevans

DC2 wrote:

Do those features work when I am NOT using the Search in the Norton Toolbar?

I ask because I prefer the Google Toolbar for Searches and want to use that instead of the Norton Toolbar.

Thanks!

DC2

Please correct me if I'm wrong. When you select that you want to disable the toolbar a window opens and shows you the other programs that will also be disabled and they have checkboxes in front of them. If yo uuncheck the boxes they will remain active while the toolbar is safely hidden away until you want to use it again.

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
DC2
Visitor
DC2

dickevans wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong. When you select that you want to disable the toolbar a window opens and shows you the other programs that will also be disabled and they have checkboxes in front of them. If yo uuncheck the boxes they will remain active while the toolbar is safely hidden away until you want to use it again.

The message in the window says the add-on WILL be disabled, so it didn't really sound like it was an option.  I AM able to uncheck the box, and then click the Disable button, but I was concerned because I have no idea how to know whether or not the add-on is still active after doing that.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

Hi DC2,

The search bar on the Norton Toolbar is Norton Safe Search, an enhanced version of Ask.com.  Norton Safe Search can be removed from the toolbar clicking "Norton" on the toolbar and clicking "Disable Norton Safe Search."  Doing so does not turn off the other features of the toolbar, such as Identity Safe and Norton Safe Web, which provides site safety icons on search results for Google and other search engines.  As explained you can also remove or hide  the entire toolbar while leaving Norton Safe Web features intact.  If you have the room, I would advise removing Norton Safe Search but leaving the Toolbar visible, since it does provide a convenient way to access the Identity Safe and Safe Web features.  But if browser space is at a premium, you can hide the toolbar.  When the dialog box advises you about Symantec NCO BHO, just uncheck the Symantec NCO BHO box if you wish to keep the Safe Web features running without the toolbar.  Here is more information on the Norton Toolbar:

http://us.norton.com/products/tutorials/overview.jsp?pvid=nis2010&tutid=norton_toolbar

DC2
Visitor
DC2

So if I understand correctly, I can hide the toolbar, and as long as I uncheck the box the add-on will not actually be disabled.

Please correct me if I'm wrong... otherwise, thanks for the help!

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

I don't know about the terminology but like you I like the Google search (and especially the option you can set to ON that if you highlight some text on the screen it automatically gets to appear in the Google Search box which is great for searching on error messages and so on) so when I learned about doing it I unchecked the Norton Toolbar on the toolbar options and then unchecked that one box on the screen that comes up and then clicked on Disable and I got back the screen space BUT the Safe Web icons still appear in search results.

I don't use the Identity Safe so access to that does not matter --- I wonder if you could put a link to it on what used to ber called the Quick Launch bar at the bottom of the screen since that is always visible?

Hugh
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

DC2 wrote:

So if I understand correctly, I can hide the toolbar, and as long as I uncheck the box the add-on will not actually be disabled.

Please correct me if I'm wrong... otherwise, thanks for the help!

You got it right.