Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Reply
Visitor
DeenieJo
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-18-2012
Accepted Solution

Is uiStub.exe a legitimate Norton file?

I downloaded an upgrade from (supposedly) Norton on Monday (10/15). Tues. & Wed. the computer worked fine. Now today I turn on the computer and I have a "Windows did not start properly" message. So I left it go to the "Repair Startup" function. I declined the "Do you want to restore to an earlier point" because I knew the only recent installation/alteration was the upgrade from Norton and I should not be having a problem with that. After the "Repair Startup" ran through all its checklists the results came up inclusive.

I went into "Norton File Insight" under "properties" for my Internet Security. According to this info, the "exe" file is uiStub.exe. Under "Developer" it says it's from Symantec Corp. Under "Mature" it says the file was released 2 months ago.

However... under "Origins" it says "downloaded from unknown".

So I would like to know if this "uiStub.exe" is actually yours or not. If it's yours, then maybe the startup problem was some weird glitch that will work itself out. If this file is not yours, then I have a very unfortunate problem on my hands.

My computer is an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. It has an AMD processor with Windows 7.

 

Thanks,

DeenieJo

 

Tech83
Posts: 965
Topics: 55
Kudos: 168
Solutions: 27
Registered: ‎07-30-2008

Re: Is uiStub.exe a legitimate Norton file?

Hi! DeenieJo,

 

The file uiStub.exe is part of Symantec's Norton products.  Have experienced any other odd behaviors?

 

Tech83  :)

peterweb
Posts: 8,760
Kudos: 1,366
Solutions: 342
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Is uiStub.exe a legitimate Norton file?

uiStub.exe is the user interface for Norton.

 

You say you downloaded (supposedly) from Norton. How did you download this? Was it from within your old Norton product? Did you navigate to a web page to get the download?


Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
DeenieJo
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-18-2012

Re: Is uiStub.exe a legitimate Norton file?

[ Edited ]

Hi Tech83,

 

After the "Repair Startup" box finished with its checklist and I clicked the "restart" button, my computer rebooted with no problem. I have not had any problem accessing any files or programs, either. I really hope that when I turn it on tomorrow this will not happen again.

Thanks for letting me know that uiStub.exe is legit.

 

DeenieJo

Visitor
DeenieJo
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-18-2012

Re: Is uiStub.exe a legitimate Norton file?

Hi Peterweb,

 

Thanks for the confirm that uiStub.exe does come from Norton.

I had bought the CD of Norton Internet Security and downloaded it a few weeks ago. Been running it with no problem. The upgrade popped up in a box in the bottom right corner of my screen saying that there was an upgrade for the product that was free to subscribers. It looked like a legit Norton message box, so I clicked on it not thinking that it could possibly be a phishing scam or something. (Hence my usage of the word "supposedly").

It just kind of freaked me out; the fact that I just downloaded it a couple days ago and then suddenly I have this startup problem. When I went into the file to check it out and saw the "origins unknown" tag that made it worse.

I'll be keeping any eye on this. Hopefully it won't turn into a recurring problem.

 

DeenieJo

peterweb
Posts: 8,760
Kudos: 1,366
Solutions: 342
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Is uiStub.exe a legitimate Norton file?


DeenieJo wrote:

Hi Peterweb,

 

Thanks for the confirm that uiStub.exe does come from Norton.

I had bought the CD of Norton Internet Security and downloaded it a few weeks ago. Been running it with no problem. The upgrade popped up in a box in the bottom right corner of my screen saying that there was an upgrade for the product that was free to subscribers. It looked like a legit Norton message box, so I clicked on it not thinking that it could possibly be a phishing scam or something. (Hence my usage of the word "supposedly").

It just kind of freaked me out; the fact that I just downloaded it a couple days ago and then suddenly I have this startup problem. When I went into the file to check it out and saw the "origins unknown" tag that made it worse.

I'll be keeping any eye on this. Hopefully it won't turn into a recurring problem.

 

DeenieJo


Unfortunately, with a new version comes some teathing problems, as you found out.

 

If you do not experience too many problems you can stick with 2013, like I am doing. If you wish, you can revert to the 2012 version. Let us know if that is the route you wish to take.

 

 

 


Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
DeenieJo
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-18-2012

Re: Is uiStub.exe a legitimate Norton file?

Thanks Peterweb.

My computer successfully turned on today with no problems. I have my fingers crossed.

 

DeenieJo

peterweb
Posts: 8,760
Kudos: 1,366
Solutions: 342
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Is uiStub.exe a legitimate Norton file?


DeenieJo wrote:

Thanks Peterweb.

My computer successfully turned on today with no problems. I have my fingers crossed.

 

DeenieJo


Good to hear.

 

We are here if you need us again.

 


Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Newbie
wicksteve
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-28-2012

Re: Is uiStub.exe a legitimate Norton file?


DeenieJo wrote:

I downloaded an upgrade from (supposedly) Norton on Monday (10/15). Tues. & Wed. the computer worked fine. Now today I turn on the computer and I have a "Windows did not start properly" message. So I left it go to the "Repair Startup" function. I declined the "Do you want to restore to an earlier point" because I knew the only recent installation/alteration was the upgrade from Norton and I should not be having a problem with that. After the "Repair Startup" ran through all its checklists the results came up inclusive.

I went into "Norton File Insight" under "properties" for my Internet Security. According to this info, the "exe" file is uiStub.exe. Under "Developer" it says it's from Symantec Corp. Under "Mature" it says the file was released 2 months ago.

However... under "Origins" it says "downloaded from unknown".

So I would like to know if this "uiStub.exe" is actually yours or not. If it's yours, then maybe the startup problem was some weird glitch that will work itself out. If this file is not yours, then I have a very unfortunate problem on my hands.

My computer is an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. It has an AMD processor with Windows 7.

 

Thanks,

DeenieJo

 



I am SO happy you requested info on this uistub.exe and it was solved, because the same thing happened to me. In fact several funny things have happened involving my Norton AntiVirus Internet 2012 Security lately. First, I want you to know that I'm not real smart about downloading programs; however, I'm not dumb and I question EVERYTHING I see. A few weeks ago I received a desktop box with a perfect ad 'from Symantec (not sure how to spell, but the Norton company) saying that since I have 2012 version I am able to get a 2013 download now, at no charge. That seemed strange to me even though it had a pix of the box, done perfectly, that I bought that had the CD for Norton Security in it and put in my PC in Dec 2011 for 2012. I have bought Norton for YEARS (and will use none other) and every Dec. I put in a new one for the next year. Never have I had a problem till this month(Oct 2012) . Well, I did not believe it was a complimentary download from Norton (though for the years I've purchased (10?) they SHOULD give me a complimentary one...LOL. After I deleted (AT THE X), I seemed to have problems with my commenting on Facebook (it would freeze up, for "long running scripts" or just because it'd state "FB isn't working". I had to clear caches, update Norton, run quick scan, start Task Manager, and even shut down sometimes. Then my whole Norton desktop icon would go all black and internet would freeze and back to the steps above. Then a few more requests for free 2013 download. I refused by clicking the X, time after time. Just now, as I was tying a comment on Facebook, a long skinny box came up saying downloads to uistub.exe was downloaded; did I want to run or save? I didn't know what I wanted except what the heck was uistub? It mentioned Norton and I clicked the X to delete, I minimized that tab, it went to desktop and I opened another tab and got on the internet (this was after the Norton icon went black, facebook had froze up with Facebook not running to long running script (whatever THAT means), boxes stating windows had shut down Norton and other scary message boxes came up and faded like my PC was infested). After getting back on IE, I googled "what is uistub and ONLY opened norton.com website for info (none other!!), and tried  every article to find this one, after I wrote uistub in Norton search box and found you. The reason I mention this is because I haven't found anyone that has gotten this RUN or SAVE box without first downloading the file. This had NOT downloaded though it indicated it was and I think the reason for that is because I had kept deleting their  original requests to get the 'free' 2013 Norton dowload (with the pix of the Norton Antivirus product 2012. box), so they devised another way to try  to get me to accept their scam. . Another thing I've noticed is that some of the instructions on this 'free' 2013 download is that IF you have a 2012 CD you are able to use it as the download for the 'free' download, which sounds real false to me. I hope Norton does something about this soon. There must be a way for them to get these people. So, I thank you for saving my PC and my sanity by asking what uistub was and for Norton replying.   WE NEED NORTON TO CORRECT THIS SERIOUS PROBLEM!!    Thank you , Wick (Wicksteve)     10/28/2012

Newbie
wicksteve
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-28-2012

Re: Is uiStub.exe a legitimate Norton file?

Prior to reading the replies (I had to register first), I didn't receive the answer correctly. I THOUGHT it stated that uistub.exe WAS NOT a Norton product, and felt relieved I DID NOT download this unistub.exe.   Now I'm not sure what to do or what to do if downloading it will cause more problems. Why doesn't Norton have provisions to send a box when we scan or update to NOTIFY us (and ask us FIRST) if we care to download and state if thie is an important download the way windows update state  their downloads? I'm never sure if the tech's that say it is ok (or no, don't download) are actually techs or someone (a scammer) who registers  fake info ad then instructs us and we gget a virus!  Would a tech please tell me now if i should run or save , AND how do I get the request back IF I am suppose to have the download. It would seem that if it were impt that Norton would have it downloaded without all the boxes, have it run or saved  automatically and iIF insisting on having a popup it would be only when we startup  the PC and part of the Norton program, not just poppping up when on other websites to confuse and scare us!

Wick (wicksteve 10/28/2012


wicksteve wrote:

DeenieJo wrote:

I downloaded an upgrade from (supposedly) Norton on Monday (10/15). Tues. & Wed. the computer worked fine. Now today I turn on the computer and I have a "Windows did not start properly" message. So I left it go to the "Repair Startup" function. I declined the "Do you want to restore to an earlier point" because I knew the only recent installation/alteration was the upgrade from Norton and I should not be having a problem with that. After the "Repair Startup" ran through all its checklists the results came up inclusive.

I went into "Norton File Insight" under "properties" for my Internet Security. According to this info, the "exe" file is uiStub.exe. Under "Developer" it says it's from Symantec Corp. Under "Mature" it says the file was released 2 months ago.

However... under "Origins" it says "downloaded from unknown".

So I would like to know if this "uiStub.exe" is actually yours or not. If it's yours, then maybe the startup problem was some weird glitch that will work itself out. If this file is not yours, then I have a very unfortunate problem on my hands.

My computer is an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. It has an AMD processor with Windows 7.

 

Thanks,

DeenieJo

 



I am SO happy you requested info on this uistub.exe and it was solved, because the same thing happened to me. In fact several funny things have happened involving my Norton AntiVirus Internet 2012 Security lately. First, I want you to know that I'm not real smart about downloading programs; however, I'm not dumb and I question EVERYTHING I see. A few weeks ago I received a desktop box with a perfect ad 'from Symantec (not sure how to spell, but the Norton company) saying that since I have 2012 version I am able to get a 2013 download now, at no charge. That seemed strange to me even though it had a pix of the box, done perfectly, that I bought that had the CD for Norton Security in it and put in my PC in Dec 2011 for 2012. I have bought Norton for YEARS (and will use none other) and every Dec. I put in a new one for the next year. Never have I had a problem till this month(Oct 2012) . Well, I did not believe it was a complimentary download from Norton (though for the years I've purchased (10?) they SHOULD give me a complimentary one...LOL. After I deleted (AT THE X), I seemed to have problems with my commenting on Facebook (it would freeze up, for "long running scripts" or just because it'd state "FB isn't working". I had to clear caches, update Norton, run quick scan, start Task Manager, and even shut down sometimes. Then my whole Norton desktop icon would go all black and internet would freeze and back to the steps above. Then a few more requests for free 2013 download. I refused by clicking the X, time after time. Just now, as I was tying a comment on Facebook, a long skinny box came up saying downloads to uistub.exe was downloaded; did I want to run or save? I didn't know what I wanted except what the heck was uistub? It mentioned Norton and I clicked the X to delete, I minimized that tab, it went to desktop and I opened another tab and got on the internet (this was after the Norton icon went black, facebook had froze up with Facebook not running to long running script (whatever THAT means), boxes stating windows had shut down Norton and other scary message boxes came up and faded like my PC was infested). After getting back on IE, I googled "what is uistub and ONLY opened norton.com website for info (none other!!), and tried  every article to find this one, after I wrote uistub in Norton search box and found you. The reason I mention this is because I haven't found anyone that has gotten this RUN or SAVE box without first downloading the file. This had NOT downloaded though it indicated it was and I think the reason for that is because I had kept deleting their  original requests to get the 'free' 2013 Norton dowload (with the pix of the Norton Antivirus product 2012. box), so they devised another way to try  to get me to accept their scam. . Another thing I've noticed is that some of the instructions on this 'free' 2013 download is that IF you have a 2012 CD you are able to use it as the download for the 'free' download, which sounds real false to me. I hope Norton does something about this soon. There must be a way for them to get these people. So, I thank you for saving my PC and my sanity by asking what uistub was and for Norton replying.   WE NEED NORTON TO CORRECT THIS SERIOUS PROBLEM!!    Thank you , Wick (Wicksteve)     10/28/2012