Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
ramoats

Isearch.claro-search browser hijacker...

Isearch.claro-search.....  Does anyone have real information on this browser hijacker?? It seems to be a simple removal from all browser settings bbut searches on the topic lead to all of these bogus removal tools for download, etc ..... Tell me what the truth is please??

Thanks, RA Moats

Contributor
ramoats

Re: Isearch.claro-search browser hijacker...

Has no one dealt with this ??? I can't even find a mention on the main Norton site... all wec searches end up plugging virus removal tools.....

Contributor
ramoats

bump ....

Visitor
butterflyx

omg i have this problem too. i decided to look it up and all i get is how to remove it. but when i do as it says i cant find those files at all!! :(((:smileysad:

Contributor
ramoats

Well, after I removed the toolbar from add remove programs, I went through Google Chrome and IE settings to remove all trace of the search engine in ALL settiings .....I  ran Malwarebytes and Anvismart Defender... they picked up a few files and deleted them... I am holding my breath I got it all .....  I was hoping for some forum input as some of these bogus help sites insist there are registry settings involved, but I believe they are trying to intimidate or trick a person into downloading there "fix" or program ....

Visitor
butterflyx

I almost downloaded their program however i cancelled it. i think i might do what you did because i still have it as a browser. i even restored my system.

Johan4819

Contributor
ramoats

[ Edited ]

The suggestion above is one of the sites that I mentioned that scares you into downloading software unnecessarily ..... we need Symantec to weigh in on this.... I pay them a lot of money each year to protect my system so they should have some response on this....  As a matter of fact this whole situation is starting to get me angry..... My first response on this was to go through Norton IS Help... and they found nothing... nor is there any mention of it on there web site that I could find...... We may not all be computer gurus...but that's why we rely on Symantec..... to answer our questions or get help stupid question or not.....

Visitor
butterflyx

Hi! I actually got rid of this isearch.claro!! I finally found an actual program to remove. its called adware cleaner. it got rid of the isearch for google, but no mozilla fox yet

Visitor
fuppylodders

[ Edited ]

Hi, I had the same problem and it was really peeing me off! I, like you, thought that a lot of those 'solution pages' were fakes as they all had the same layout, so avoided them. I only found one actual page which had someone with it as an issue where they were trying to get to the bottom, and posted an awful lot of logs for this, that and the other.

Imno computer geek and didnt quite understand it but I also couldnt find these 'registry' files that apparantly i should be deleting, and stayed well away from talking to 'one of their technical advisors' or 'downloading the isearch claro removal tool'...

Everything was suspicious to me too.

Anyhoos, im rambling now lol... BUT I think ive managed to get rid of it.

I downloaded malwarebytes (free download somewhere) as this was suggested to me by a friend, and ended up being the only one that was detecting the cookies that kept getting added by the damned malware, it removed the cookies fine, but I still had the problem. I had already 'uninstalled' the search engine through the usual uninstall procedure but it was still there. I then tried finding it within my hidden folders that windows creates from using programms.

I uninstalled google chrome, and firefox, being left with IE. (can't uninstall that afaik) I then reinstalled google chrome, and it appeared it had gone. No isearch claro page come up, but then i went to check settings etc and g** crawler' extension happened to be there (cant remember its exact name) so i knew something was still somewhere on my pc.

I then googled it, found someone say that i needed to remove my firefox profile folder as that folder stays even though you uninstall firefox.

Anyways, I found it, clicked in it, and sure enough, that was inside it. I removed that, searched a few more suspicious folders and it was in another(maybe this was googlechromes one, im not too sure)! (searched the rest, not found it again). Anyways, i deleted it (not recycle bin, delete!) where-ever i found it, and installed firefox. Now, when i start google, i have set the homepage as google.co.uk, the 'new tabs' page comes up... so its still not going to where i set the address, however in IE, FF and GC I have NOT had isearch claro come up at all, in homepage or new tabs...

Im still wondering if i should just factory reset my pc (not restore point, doesnt work) because if it isnt going to the set homepage then maybe, something is still there... I dont know at this point...

Sam

ps

i usually have avast and spybot S&D, I dont use norton as I didnt get on with it initially. That is why i am newly registered in case anyone is wondering about my trustworthyness :P

*edit* fyi, I know exactly how I got this bloody evil virus/malware w/e it is...

because I had lost a cd album I owned and thought that Id just download it from somewhere as I had already 'paid my dues' from buying it the first time round... So after clicking to download the album, that was it, it installed itself. The first sign anything was wrong was that each of my internet search engine windows immediately randomly opened up by themselves without me opening them.

I dont know how anyone else got it, but thats how i got it.

Lesson?

dont be stingy and just fork out the £5 for a replacement CD. I could have earned well more than £5 from working the amount of hours ive spent trying to fix this damned thing <.>

*edit#2* If anyone does the same as me, and gets the same homepage issue where its no longer isearch claro, but it isnt any you type in either, can you let me know/post here if you find a better fix? (or if anyone finds a better fix anyways)