Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
ddeming888
Accepted Solution

Java autoupdates screwing with my Norton scans???

A cpl wks ago began to get Java "just check" auto update alerts.  My nephew said AOK, so I let them come in.  Each time the Java update also comes with an unwanted "free offer" of McAfee scan, I might add.  I say no to the McAfee (of course) and allow the Java updates. Then, out of paranoia, I always run a full system scan.  My file counts always used to be, on a full scan, approximately 320,000 files.  Now, after the Java updates, I only get a file count of apprx 145,000.  What gives?  I assume that it is no prob bcuz Norton says OK to download each time (and Verisign is always confirming that the update IS from Java). Any worries? - Newbie Dave

ddeming888

Java Updates - McAfee install attempts - Norton scan file count now halved???

A couple of weeks ago I started getting "Just Check" Java update requests.  Verisign confirms that they are from Java.  I also checked with my nephew and he said "no problem".  I now seem to be getting one of these auto-update requests from Java each week.

With each Java update there is also an attempt to get me to load in a "free trial" of McAfee antivirus which I - naturally, as a satisfied Norton customer - always decline.

However, each time I fend off the advances of "McAfee via Java" I run a full system scan, because ... well because I am paranoid about my computer (again, many thanks Norton for helping me overcome THAT).  The full system scans that I run after the Java update are 1/2 of the normal duration, in terms of file counts.  Instead of approximately 320,000 or so files scanned, the counts after these Java intrusions (excuse me, I mean Java updates).  Is this any cause for worry?  What gives?  Why the reduction in file counts immediately after a Java update.  Also, can I get Java to "leave me alone" and STOP trying to give me McAfee?

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,843
Solutions: 779

Re: Java Updates - McAfee install attempts - Norton scan file count now halved???

Hi ddming888,

Do you do a lot of full scans?  Scans run prior to receiving a new full virus definitions update will skip any unchanged files that were found to be clean in an earlier scan.  So that might be happening here and would be unrelated to the Java Updates.  By the way, if you do not use Java or do not have any installed programs that require it, you should completely uninstall it from your PC.  It is a prime target for exploits that install malware and most experts are now recommending that you have it installed only if necessary.

ddeming888

Re: Java Updates - McAfee install attempts - Norton scan file count now halved???

Well, I don't know.  What do I need Java for?  I surf, e-mail, Google, look at YouTube and some ESPN live feeds of ball games.  So, do I need Java?  Perhaps it came as part of the package of software with my computer and naturally Java is seeking to update regularly... I assume simply because it is there.  So, again, what would I need Java for?  Please reply.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,843
Solutions: 779

Some internet speed test sites use Java, although many use Adobe Flash instead, the NASA website spacecraft viewing opportunity finder is a Java applet, and Open Office needs Java.  If you regularly visit any site that requires Java, or run any programs that need it, you would probably know.  You can always reinstall it if you remove it and later find that something you use regularly requires it.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/06/dont-need-java-junk-it/