Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
music-seed

Live Update Fails

[ Edited ]

I have run Live Update3 separate times,(since 8/6/2013 at 8:43 AM CST) the first file as I recollect was 74 megabyte and 5 of 6 updates installed but not all were succesful, I immediately re-run live update again but this time the file has increased in size to 106 megabytes, takes 12 hours to down load and once again only some of the updates are installed, I think to myself , ah good, next time the file to live update will be much smaller, but the file size has not changed but still is 106 megabytes and again the same fail and after hours of unproductive time this takes away from me..any pointers? or do I need to reinstall (I have version 20.4.0.40 installed) very frustrating to say the least, since I am on my second 1 year term with Norton, 111 days left on my sub.. tempted to go elsewhere, since I seem to download huge live update files more often then I like to, don't ever recall having to download so many bytes at BitDefender..

Contributor
music-seed

Re: Live Update Fails

oh, and another thing, I think I've seen somewhere on this forum, that Malwarebytes is not compatible with NIS? I did install it the other day to fight some nasty adware I somehow acquired.. another question, how can you tell the difference between NIS 2012 and NIS 2013? is it strictly by the version numbers nowadays?

Regular Contributor
intesec

Hi music-seed

I don’t have version 20.4.0.40 so cannot provide you a confirmation of update volume but it does sound excessive.  I have version 19.9.1.14, which is NIS 2012, Norton turns orange every 5-7 days, and I download anything from 3-7mb.  It may be worth considering going back to 2012.  Norton has changed the way they identify the version they have stopped using the year and are currently using the version number

MBAM free version is compatible with Norton but the trial and pro versions are not because they have real time protection.

Perform the below in the order they appear.

The paragraph below mentions Norton this refers to different product programmes so from NAV to NIS or to 360 if the Norton product was NIS 2012 then installing NIS 2013 by just installing it is ok unless the previous version was causing problems.  The below paragraph also concerns old versions of Norton so a few versions earlier of a Norton product.

Have you or have you ever had any other security software including any trial security software on the computer including Norton?  It needs to be removed using the process below.  You mentioned bit defender, anything else?

To uninstall any security software use the windows add/remove programme first, then restart the computer, then run the removal tool for the specific version of the security software that is available from the security software’s main site, then restart the computer.  This process should be done for each security software to be uninstalled, meaning one at a time.

If you have run the removal tool for Norton then, reinstall Norton, run live updates as many times as it takes to get, no more live updates, restarting as required.

You might like to backup the personal data and you’ll need to backup or export in both formats your identity safe and any other users identity safe if it is used, before doing the above.

Can you check on the computer clock that the following are correct?

The time?

The day?

The month?

The Year?

The time zone?

Its written like this because in the past people check the time only and one of the others is incorrect and is causing problems for the Norton product.

To check the above click on the clock in the task bar, on the dialogue box that opens click on, change date and time settings.   

Try running autofix by clicking the Norton icon, click support, click get support (or right click the Norton icon in the task bar and click Get support) let it run then restart the computer.  It should tell you if any items where fixed.  If you get an error message about MBAM then just click on skip on the error screen.

Restart the computer if you have done it with auto fix then ignore.

Check for Norton updates manually or right click the Norton icon in the task bar and click, run live updates, and then recheck until there are no more updates restarting the computer as requested.

Questions.

Is it the download that is failing or is it the installation of the downloaded updates?

Have you used system restore?

What error message(s) are you getting?

Can you post an image of the error message(s) using screen capture and the paint programme or use the snipping tool (see help and support from the start menu).

How to post an image in the Norton forum.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/25...

ATB

intesec

F4E
Kudos: 839
Solutions: 187

music seed, I note you had previous problems with browser re-directs. Has this problem been solved ?,  as that may have some bearing on why you are having problems with your Norton product. I'd suggest using the Remove and Reinstall tool downloadable from the Norton site. This will hopefully give you a trouble free fresh install, and fix your update problems.

Follow the prompts and run Live Update until no more updates available, rebooting if necessary.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
Contributor
music-seed

intersec, thanks for responding, and glad to try and answer your questions,

1. my clock is fine, I just checked it the third time in 3 days,

2. I have run auto fix and it always gives a green scan nothing wrong,

3. I got the 2013 version of NIS from a LiveUpdate as I recall, has worked great for several months, and still works great but can't forcibly Live Update without a fail of some of the updates not installing..(until last 2 days or thereabouts)

4.have not re-installed it yet, and that is what's strange, the 106 megabyte updates are 20% larger than the whole Norton Internet Security I have in control panel of 88.5 megabyte? LOL

5. tried to use system restore twice yesterday, but wanted me to go back farther than last Saturday so I quit trying, tried two recent restore points and would not restore, but gave up on that too..

6.the download is not failing, but installation of 100% of updates is failing, and then it sends me back into a "loop"? doing the same download again(HUGE FILE) and experience from past, always gave a smaller file with next attempt to finish the live update, not this time though??

7. getting no error messages

8. can't give a screenshot of error since I have no errors

yank
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 512

Hi music-seed,

Something sounds flakey and since you say you are considering resinstalling anyway, I think you may mke some head way by trying the following.  I believe you may have a corrupted Liveupdate download in your temp files somewhere that is being pulled in for the installation of the update.

Please open Run by pressing windows key + R -> devmgmt.msc -> View Show

Hidden devices -> open Non-Plug and Play Drivers-> Maximize the Screen

If you have a identity safe data back it up ->

Go to Control panel uninstall NIS ->select the second option to

completely uninstall ->restart -> Run Norton Removal Tool -> Restart ->

Go to the screenshot page -> if you find   NAVENG, NAVEX15, Norton Antivirus settings manager, starting from Symantec

Data Store to SymEvent (entries starting with Sym)  ->right click on them

click uninstall -> For the Restart prompts select no -> Go to Program files

if you find Norton Folder delete it -> Go to Run ->type temp ->Delete all

the files in there -> Run -> %temp% ->delete all ->Now Restart the PC -

>Install  NIS ->Run Live Update until you get no updates found

message ->restart PC  

Let us know how it went for you and if it corrects your situation.

One more thing, in regards to System Restore - this will ussually fail unless you temporatily disable Norton Product Tamper Protection under Settings > General > Product Security.  Usually if you do get the SystemRestore to work, it is stil many updates behind and may or may not be able to catch up with LiuveUpdate - resulting in a clean install fo NIS. 

Regular Contributor
intesec

Hi music-seed

Thanks for answering the questions.

Have you run the removal tool for bit defender, I realise that you have said that Norton was running ok but an update recently may be causing a conflict with the software from another security programme.  As an example MBAM was running ok with Norton until an update was released then it was causing an error message.

It may be worth considering using the Norton removal tool rather than the Norton remove and reinstall tool as this will give a clean installation and any update corruption as yank mentions will be removed, it is important that Norton is uninstalled with the windows add/remove programme first, then restart the computer, then run the NRT then, restart the computer, as described in post 3 of this thread.  But first get a fresh download of version 20.4.0.40 so that you are not dealing with patches.

I checked in programme files and NIS is around 80mb while NU is around 195mb and the Norton installer is around 12mb but in programme data Norton is around 790mb.

I have used system restore on a few occasions and the last time I did I went back one day successfully but did not turn off tamper protection as yank suggests and had a 180 mb download from Norton.

ATB

intesec

Contributor
music-seed

intesec, I did not know chat support was a FREE service? found a link somebody had left on these boards, and thought what else do I have to lose? I all along thought it was a pay out of the pocket service, but guess that is just for malware removal? LOL.. I am really a happy camper, I had a real pleasant and helpful Norton tech do a remote take over of my computer and do not know what he adjusted, if anything? but the large 106MB download was sucessful and completed under an hour ago.. the tech said it was an internet service problem, but don't know if Winsoc or DNS was reset?

dickevans

music-seed wrote:

intesec, I did not know chat support was a FREE service? found a link somebody had left on these boards, and thought what else do I have to lose? I all along thought it was a pay out of the pocket service, but guess that is just for malware removal? LOL.. I am really a happy camper, I had a real pleasant and helpful Norton tech do a remote take over of my computer and do not know what he adjusted, if anything? but the large 106MB download was sucessful and completed under an hour ago.. the tech said it was an internet service problem, but don't know if Winsoc or DNS was reset?

Hi,
The support here

http://www.norton.com/chat

is Norton and free. Be careful of anything else.

That size download sounds like your copy of the program might have gotten corrupted becausse of the 'internet service problem'.

Glad to hear that all is well now. We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
yank
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 512

intesec wrote:
I have used system restore on a few occasions and the last time I did I went back one day successfully but did not turn off tamper protection as yank suggests and had a 180 mb download from Norton.

Hi intesec,

FWIW:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v51118464_EndUserProfile_en_us