Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
mrstaypuft48

Locked out of computer/ virus

I'm using windows XP. I downloaded some malicious software that created an icon in the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar that said I had a virus and should download some product to take care of it. A pop-up came up and froze my computer, unable to alt-cntl-delete or close it. I realized immediately that this was a virus. I shut the computer down and reloaded in safe mode.  I obviously did not download anything from the pop up. '

I ran my virus software. I had a few trojans and a couple other things I didn't get a good look at. I clicked to remove the bad files after the scan was complete using norton and a malware remover software. It said a few could not be removed and it said it would restart the computer and remove the remaining malware. the computer restarted and I failed to load it in safemode so it loaded normally. I tried to log in to windows, and it said applying settings, loading, saving settings, logging out.

Restart again, this time in safe mode, and I still could not log in. Cannot log in to windows in anyway. So, Im locked out of the computer. Pretty sure this is a software issue. The only thing I'm not sure about is in my settings in f10 says my primary IDE slave is not functioning or something along those lines. If anybody knows anyway to get my other computer working, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Spam Squasher
Rohit1gupta

Re: Locked out of computer/ virus

Try running comp in last known good configuration and then use malwarebytes to remove infection.
----------------------------------------------------------------

NIS 2011 beta 18.0.0.107 Win 7 7600 RTM 32-bit
Visitor
mrstaypuft48

I am still locked out under those conditions.  Also, I tried to put the OS disk in to try the repair function, but my keyboard disables when I get to the screen to either press enter, r, or f3.  Keyboard is a USB keyboard with an adapter; either way it does not work.
Visitor
mrstaypuft48

Any idea what the issue would be with the primary IDE slave? I don't know if it was disabled or not functioning before I got the malware, but that is the case at this point.  Could this be why windows logs me out?
Spam Squasher
Rohit1gupta

ok if u have desktop then remove the hdd and attach it in another comp

install malwarebytes in the scond comp 

do not access anything inside the drive thru the other comp but just scan the hdd using malwarebytes and remove the infection.

If it doesn't solve the problem then may be formatting is the only option. 

Visitor
mrstaypuft48

Thank you very much, sir.   I received a similar response on another forum; to hear it twice is reassuring.

Spam Squasher
Rohit1gupta

Well no prob, I kno the feeling when u have antivirus and still get nasty infection.

I have faced it and it takes a whole day to repair it. Its too frustting sometimes.