Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
csampson

MSNBC story about stolen Norton source code?!!

Don't know how many of you have heard about this yet, but apparently Norton did issue a statement saying that they were investigating the claims from an  group of Indian hackers in possession of their source code. This appears very serious in that programs could be written to evade Norton protection if true, according to reports.

I may just have to move to 'PLAN B', but for now I'll just wait and see what comes of this.

Regular Contributor
hok

Re: MSNBC story about stolen Norton source code?!!

Contributor
csampson

Thanks for posting that link. I was on my way to providing it.

Regular Contributor
hok

[ Edited ]

on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/Symantec/posts/10150465997682876

"Symantec can confirm that a segment of its source code used in two of our older enterprise products has been accessed, one of which has been discontinued. The code involved is four and five years old. This does not affect Symantec’s Norton products for our consumer customers. Symantec’s own network was not breached, but rather that of a third party entity. We are still gathering information on the details and are not in a position to provide specifics on the third party involved. Presently, we have no indication that the code disclosure impacts the functionality or security of Symantec’s solutions. Furthermore, there are no indications that customer information has been impacted or exposed at this time. However, Symantec is working to develop remediation process to ensure long-term protection for our customers’ information. We will communicate that process once the steps have been finalized. Given the early stages of the investigation, we have no further details to disclose at this time but will provide updates as we confirm additional facts"

Regular Visitor
syskill

I come from China.Because of some special reasons,everywhere in China was unable to access the Facebook.

Even though I want to see, also cannot access this webpage, this is really too bad.

Contributor
Snodgrass

This scares me.

Kremmen
Topics: 31
Kudos: 45
Solutions: 2

I haven't read any of the links yet but ...

It is source code that is about 6 years old and therefore not as serious as it sounds.

Providing you keep Endpoint Protection up to date you should be OK.

Code stolen from a third party apparently and no intrusion at Symantec

NIS is not affected AFAIK

Lets be careful out there !
netstat1

Rumor about Norton source code being released

Visitor
budpytko

Hacker says to release full Norton Antivirus code on Tuesday

Just read this in one of my News forums.  Rather shocking I must say. Anyone heard anything from Norton/Symantec on this?

garciacal

Release of Norton's Antivirus source code

Hi There,

I have the Norton Internet Security 2012 package. I would like to know if I may be affected,  what the implications are for me and what do I need to do to ensure my security if what is being reported in the media is true and actually happens?

"NEW DELHI (Reuters) - A hacker who goes by the name of 'YamaTough' threatened Saturday to release next week the full source code for Symantec Corp's flagship Norton Antivirus software.

"This coming Tuesday behold the full Norton Antivirus 1,7Gb src, the rest will follow," Yama Tough posted via Twitter.

In the past week Yama Tough has released fragments of source code from Symantec products along with a cache of emails. The hacker says all the data was taken from Indian government servers.

(Reporting By Frank Jack Daniel)"

Regards,

Reuben