Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Re: Release of Norton's Antivirus source code

It depends what product update your talking about.

If your talking about the PCanywhere update on monday, then yes.  However one or more updates are also expected this week.

Go check the official Symantec statement for the updated info, the link to it has been posted several times in this thread.

If your talking about the update or updates that went out for NAV and NIS 2012, then no.  It has nothing to do with this because the recent consumer products are not effected.

Dave

bleeper24
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 14

Re: MSNBC story about stolen Norton source code?!!

Hi again smoddelm

smoddelm wrote:

After much deliberation, I decided to try running Norton and Webroot together.  I do appreciate the recommendation not to do so and think it is intelligent and thoughtful advice.  But I have taken the plunge because, in case of some immediate disaster, I have a weekly True Image backup of my partitions and nightly online backups of my documents, photos, and music, so I have the ability to pretty much restore everything if anything goes awry.  So far (after a few days) I haven't noticed anything at all unusual about how my system is running.  There is absolutely no perceptible slowdown (Webroot really does seem to have no detectable performance impact, and neither does Norton for that matter; 0 + 0 = 0!).  If / when more becomes clear about the stolen source code, I will probably uninstall Webroot (or stop it from running - very easy compared to other AV programs).

Glad to hear all is well with the way your set up is running ....and pleased to see you have used the excellent Acronis TI as your backup choice ..It's a fine backup tool that works just great !

You will remember that I wrote [Quote]..... As you may be well aware...all our computer configurations vary greatly depending on the hardware and software we have installed ! This is why we see so many conflicting reports on forums regarding some people having major issues ...and many thousands of others have a totally troublefree experience ! Webroot may therefore be seen by many as benign and a useful addition...[End Quote] 

It's obviousfrom what you say , that your configuration seems to be running satisfactorily and I hope it continues to do so:smileywink:!

Seeing as the recent developments regarding the source code have come to light , many users are feeling aprehensive with respect to the matter ....Symantec have their" fingers on the pulse "  regarding this business .....but a careful watch on developments by checking the reports that Symantec will make available will keep us all well informed !

Ed

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHD

Docendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)

Regular Contributor
1mcrtd

[ Edited ]

DaveH wrote:

It depends what product update your talking about.

If your talking about the PCanywhere update on monday, then yes.  However one or more updates are also expected this week.

Go check the official Symantec statement for the updated info, the link to it has been posted several times in this thread.

If your talking about the update or updates that went out for NAV and NIS 2012, then no.  It has nothing to do with this because the recent consumer products are not effected.

Dave

Thanks, DaveH. I thought maybe Symantec/Norton reconsidered some things between their first public statement and their more recent public statement.

-1mcrtd

Visitor
fredb38
Visitor
mrjeffrey

Re: MSNBC story about stolen Norton source code?!!

So I have Norton Internet Security 2012 running on 19.2.0.10, is there anything I should be worry about? I find it baffling how a security company can get hacked.

Regular Contributor
hok

[ Edited ]

Symantec says pcAnywhere safe, offers free upgrade

BOSTON (Reuters) - Symantec Corp said it is safe to use its pcAnywhere software for accessing remote PCs after it asked customers last week to disable the product because it put them at greater risk of being hacked.

The software maker took the unusual step of urging customers to temporarily stop using the product after an investigation determined that the blueprints, or source code, to pcAnywhere were stolen in 2006.

Symantec said on January 25 that the theft put users of all versions of the product at greater risk of losing data to hackers.

The company has since determined that it was safe to use the current version of the product, pcAnywhere 12.5, as long as it was updated with a security patch released on January 23, company spokesman Brian Modena said on Monday.

Symantec is offering free upgrades to pcAnywhere 12.5 at no charge to all customers, even those using old editions that would not typically qualify for support, he said.

The company initially said the theft of the code posed no threat as long as customers were using the most recent versions of Symantec's software, with one exception - users of pcAnywhere might face "a slightly increased security risk."

While Symantec is advising all customers to upgrade, they can safely continue using versions 12.0 and 12.1 if they download a second software patch released on January 27, Modena said.

Customers can contact the company via email for more information: pcanywhere@symantec.com.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Wow, what a generous offer.  Thanks for posting that hok.

I have version 11 and if they upgrade it for me I can use it in Windows 7. 

Dave