Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
TraceyB
Accepted Solution

Major problems with Computer Freezing with Norton Internet Security 2011

[ Edited ]

Windows Vista: Home Premium  Svc. Pkg. 2

Just a few days ago I was prompted about updating my system to Norton Internet Security 2011. I wasn't having any problems with my prior version, but I went ahead and updated because I thought it was good to update the latest version. I actually believe I had Antivirus 2009 on the system. Anyway, I have been having problems with my computer all of a sudden freezing, and whenever i'd try to go to task manager nothing would happen. At one point my screen completely blacked out, and I had to unplug it to reboot it. Anyway, I know it has to be this new version of Norton because i've noticed that when I right click several items on my Desktop(Exp. Internet Explorer, Yahoo Messenger, etc). I'm seeing the Norton Icon with the option to scan. I don't recall  seeing this before with my other Norton program. Thats how I knew something was wrong. I just don't understand what could've happened. Its just driving me crazy to keep having my PC interrupted. I need to keep a  security program on my system, but this new version has really been messing things up for me. So I hope that someone can help me straighten this out, or atleast tell me if I can somehow get back to the verison I had before. The version thats been uploaded is 18.5.0.125

Just to warn all....not that computer savvy. So be patient with me...:smileyhappy:

Thanks in advance

Tracey

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re: Major problems with Computer Freezing with Norton Internet Security 2011

Its unlikely that if you are now on NIS 2011 that you were previously on NAV 2009 because the prompts you would receive then would have been to update to NAV 2011. So either you were on an earlier version of NIS or you have been prompted by an email or non automated message and somehow have taken the option to switch to another product. If you have not paid for the upgrade and you have more than a trial activated subscription then it is certain you were previously on a NIS product.

You may be able to go into mynorton account and chech.

So from the main norton screen click on Account at the top right and access your account. This will show your activations etc.

As to your problem, I cannot yet say. I would suggest that once you have your subscriptions details carefully noted (which you can get from the action above), then you should downlload NOrton Removal Tool save it to desktop, uninstall NIS 2011, run Norton Removal Tool, reboot and reinstall NIS 2011 and advise if there is further difficulty.

Contributor
TraceyB

[ Edited ]

Cg, I was on NAV 2009. I knew after the update date that  something was different when I saw the internet security name. My prior AV prescription was only just a few months ago. so I just assumed this was updating me to the latest version. So I mistakenly accepted this upload. Now I haven't received any form of Email stating that I purchased this 2011 version, so I'm hoping this was not charged to my account. I was pretty pleased with Norton version I had, but now I'm disappointed if they've just chosen to send out this program, and its given me nothing but problems. I checked the subscription and it says it went through and I'm eligible for up to 3 PCs. This is just ridiculous. 

When I check in my programs, I see the Norton Removal tools in the Norton folder, so I should be able to click that, instead of downloading it, correct? Like I said I'm not super savvy wit this PC stuff, and  I'd actually like to know is there somehow I can get this off my system completely, and go back to Antivirus 2009(although I don't any the software). That was perfect for me, while this new upgrade has caused me nothing but unnecessary problem. 

Thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor
swarnava

If you have nav subscription you can also download here

www.norton.com/nav11
floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello TraceyB

Can you please open up the Norton product you have installed now and look at Support and About and please tell us the Name of the Program installed and the version number.?

Can you please go to www.mynortonaccount.com  and see if your account shows if you have Norton Antivirus or Norton Internet Security. Also, please check the year of the program . Also, please tell us if it's for 1 computer or for up to 3 computers.

We have to make sure which program you are subscribed tol Does your program have a smart firewall in it? Did you have a firewall in your previous Norton program. I am thinking that perhaps when you got your subscription a few months ago, you got one for NIS and not NAV. We have to find out what is showing in your account with Norton. Once we know this information, then we can proceed. If you have a current subscription, then you shouldn't be charged again unless you have changed products.

Please come back with this information, then we will know how to proceed.  Don't download any more programs until we know what program you have been charged for. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Contributor
TraceyB

[ Edited ]

Hi Floplot. I did check my account and it actually was for NIS. The order was actually back in April 13th 2010 when it was updated, and it was for 3 Computers(although, I only used it on this one). It also features Smart Firewall. I've also noticed noticed it says it expires January 22nd...thats not a full year.  I'm sorry for getting the programs confused, but I can see that  its been causing problems for me and seems to have corrupted some of my Windows programs. I will definitely appreciate whatever help you can provide me with.

Thank you

Tracey

floplot

Hello TraceyB

You might have updated to NIS 2010 in April 2010 and the original subscriptioin might have been first used in Jan. To get your subscription straightened out, I would recommend you chat with customer support since they are the ones who take care of subscriptions and activations.

http://us.norton.com/support/contact/contact.jsp?pvid=cs

This is the link for US/Can. If you need a different location, please consult your local Symantec site for the local free chat customer support link.

If it is running out on the 22nd of Jan. I would try the chat program right now because the program will stop working if your subscription is ending on Jan 22nd. If it is ending, then you will have to get a new key for it. You have to get that part straightened out first.

Then we will have to determine if you have malware which is causing the problems or if you got a bad install if you did go from 2009 to 2011.

Please come back and tell us what is happening with your subscription. Thanks.

Contributor
TraceyB

I believe you're right when you said that I must've been uploaded from the 2010 version. Now the computer i'm using was a used computer that was given to me in January, but it wasn't until April that I was notified that the service was coming to an end. So thats when I made the payment in April. Before I paid, I was being notified when that prior prescription was coming to an end. So with me paying in April 2010....the subscription should've gone until April 2011. Thats why I found it strange. I know this isn't your concern, but I just had to get that out. Something is going wrong. So I appreciate you giving me the link to speak with someone in Customer Service, I just hope they can at least clarify what's going on here.

As for  this NIS 2011 causing problems, it really seems like this is something that was sent to a lot of Norton Customers recently, not just members who were about to expire. But thanks again, I will definitely try to speak with someone about this issue. 

Tracey

floplot

Hello Tracey

Once you get the subscription straightened out, we will most likely remove your NIS 2011 and reinstall it with a clean install. We will give you the proper procedure to follow once you have the sub straightened out. Thanks.

Contributor
TraceyB

Hi, floplot, the tech I spoke with said that since my service is starting its has 818 days remaining to ignore the January 22nd expiration date, because it will not be expiring.