Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Keylogger Crusher
Morac

Mom can't log into PC. Started about same time as 19.6.1.8 update

My parent's called my this morning and asked me if I could figure out why they couldn't log into my Mom's PC (Windows XP Media Center SP3).  It would start to log in and then log out.   The PC was also very sluggish when booting up and shutting down. 

I did some searching and the only things I could come up with are http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555648 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893, both which are supposedly triggered by having Malware installed at some point and then removed.  She has NIS 2011 installed and doesn't run and install any programs so I don't see how she could have any malware on her machine that suddenly got removed. 

I was very puzzled what could have changed since yesterday, when I decided to reboot my PC and noticed that NIS 19.6.1.8 installed.  My PC (XP SP3) got sluggish as well, though I could log in without any problems.  Is it possible that the upgrade to NIS somehow corrupted her Windows registry?  

Unfortunately, while I live relatively close to her, it's not close enough that I can just pop by and see if I can fix the problem.  Is there something she can do herself to try and fix it?   May Dad has a Windows 7 laptop which is working fine.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Re: Mom can't log into PC. Started about same time as 19.6.1.8 update

Does starting the PC and using the advanced options and selecting Safe Mode, then using the Administrator account allow you to get to the desktop??

Quads

Super Keylogger Crusher
Morac

No it does not.  Neither does trying to log in to the Administrator account.  It's basically behaving exactly as described in these two articles.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555648

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893

I created a BartPE Windows XP SP3 CD and will try to correct the problem manually, but I find it awfully coincidental that the problem occurred right after the NIS upgrade was released.  She shuts down her computer every night so something happened on Saturday March 10th that made it not possible for Windows to log in.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

FRST can be used to check for the files without Windowas needing to boot

Quads

rika
Topics: 18
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 6

[ Edited ]

u can always try a repair install of windows not a repair from recovery console if u cant do more http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

NIS 2014 OS Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1
Super Keylogger Crusher
Morac

Just in case anyone reads this thread in the future.  It turned out the hard drive on my Mom's PC is going bad.  There were files that couldn't be read preventing Windows from logging in.  I managed to get the machine in a semi-working state, but basically the drive is toast.

Very odd since my Dad's laptop drive died about a month ago (I managed to coax it back to life long enough to grab some data off it) and I found an external backup drive they are using is also having issues (has problems spinning up).  That's three drives dying or dead within about a month which is extremely unusual.

twixt
Topics: 8
Kudos: 141
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 16

Morac wrote:

Just in case anyone reads this thread in the future.  It turned out the hard drive on my Mom's PC is going bad.  There were files that couldn't be read preventing Windows from logging in.  I managed to get the machine in a semi-working state, but basically the drive is toast.

Very odd since my Dad's laptop drive died about a month ago (I managed to coax it back to life long enough to grab some data off it) and I found an external backup drive they are using is also having issues (has problems spinning up).  That's three drives dying or dead within about a month which is extremely unusual.

Hi, Morac.  Only unusual if there has been no major power glitch in that timeframe.  I've seen high-frequency power spikes go right through surge protectors and power supply filter circuits as if they were cardboard - and do right-royal damage to electronics.

This usually occurs from local lightning strikes that are far enough away that things don't go pop immediately - when the connection between cause and effect is obvious - but the strikes are close enough to damage gate integrity on the FETs in some electronic circuitry such that it fails shortly (between 1 and 6 months after the strike).

Hard Disks are especially sensitive to this - because they detect and amplify extremely weak signals from the platters.  Now I'm not saying it couldn't be coincidence - I'm just saying that I look to dirty power as my first suspicion whenever I get "clumps" of failures in related equipment.

Is your mom's equipment surge-protected and/or UPS-powered?  Do your surge protectors and UPS systems have monitoring capabilities that detect when the protection circuits have been fried by something?  No monitoring means that if the surge protector circuits have been fried by a previous bolt - and there is no monitoring LED to tell you whether the surge protector circuits are healthy or not - you don't know if the surge protector circuits have been "eaten" by a bolt so they don't work any more.

Without monitoring circuits - and with dead protector circuits - you have no surge protection the next time lightning comes to town - and you have no idea you're vulnerable.  This is an important reason to avoid "economy" surge protectors.

Food for thought...