Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
dune17856

Multi_CriminalFinancial_SearchHijackerMo - What is it?

Xfinity has a tool they keep trying to get me to install. Part of the shtick is they keep mentioning this Bot : Multi_CriminalFinancial_SearchHijackerMo

Never hear dof it and can't find any evidence of it save for one fxfinity forum post.

Norton know anything about this?

dickevans

Re: Multi_CriminalFinancial_SearchHijackerMo - What is it?

dune17856 wrote:

Xfinity has a tool they keep trying to get me to install. Part of the shtick is they keep mentioning this Bot : Multi_CriminalFinancial_SearchHijackerMo

Never hear dof it and can't find any evidence of it save for one fxfinity forum post.

Norton know anything about this?

Hi,

Did a few simple searches and found nothing. Doesn't make me feel very confident in the file. Without knowing more I'd keep it at least twelve feet away from any computer I controlled.

But that's just me

Stay well and surf safe

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
EdNigma

[ Edited ]

Comcast frequently monitors customer's internet traffic for known virus activity/network traffic.amibotted.comcast.net/ Will report detected infections from your IP address. Not sure why "Super Bot Obliterator" would advise against removing a bot but comcast provides a full Norton security suite to customers for removal of such threats. Call them or go to xfinity.com/norton

"Multi_CriminalFinancial_SearchHijackerModule is a generic name for a new module that is being added to rootkits known as TDSS/TDL, Pihar, and ZeroAccess.  We are in the process of gathering more intel on what this module does but at this point it is likely you are infected with one of aforementioned rootkits.

- Nirmal
Comcast National Engineering"

Bot Obliterator
Quads

EdNigma wrote:

"Multi_CriminalFinancial_SearchHijackerModule is a generic name for a new module that is being added to rootkits known as TDSS/TDL, Pihar, and ZeroAccess.  We are in the process of gathering more intel on what this module does but at this point it is likely you are infected with one of aforementioned rootkits.

- Nirmal
Comcast National Engineering"

"Multi_CriminalFinancial_SearchHijackerModule is a generic name for a new module that is being added to rootkits known as TDSS/TDL, Pihar, and ZeroAccess"

So meaning  Bitcoin modules???  No that is OLD

So meaning Search Hijacker in rookit / bootkit??   No that is OLD, many nay users as a symptom 'browser redirect'

hmmmmmmm

Quads

Spamiam

[ Edited ]

Multi_CriminalFinancial_SearchHijackerMo is the term that Comast amibotted.com will return. That title is trucated. The full title is Multi_CriminalFinancial_SearchHijackerModule.

If that appears, you definitely have a rootkit on one or more of your computers, and hidden malware is operational on the system. Likely Pihar.c and/or ZeroAccess.

Common antivirus software/techniques often will not find a problem. Specific measures must be taken when you get this type of infection.

Rootkits run even before your operating system loads, hence the term "root". Antivirus software such as Norton load *after* the Operating System, *after* the rootkid is loaded. Rootkit detection is difficult because a rootkit is designed to subvert the software that is intended to find it, and subsequently hides malacious trojans and/or other malware running in it's shadow. If you have this notice, you likely have more than one problem.

Comcast did not put this malware on anyone's computer, nor are they responsible for it. I see a lot of chatter on the Comcast site about Comcast being responsible for malicious software that their customers pick up. That is as absurd as saying an auto loan company is responsible for a flat tire.

Fortunately, unlike auto loan companies and other ISPs, Comcast does offer a paid service which can, and will, fix this problem and get this malicious malware off of your system. If you ignore this problem, you're choosing to exploit yourself online. You are, most definitely, a victim. If you can't fix this yourself, you can certainly contact a local company to do it. If you want Comcast to fix it, they do provide that service at competitve rates via remote access. You don't have to pack up your computer and drop it off for a week or lose time scheduling someone out to your house, and you can watch the cleanup happen. Best of all, your money goes to North American technicians and stays in our country with the potential to come back to you in the economy. If you have this infection and want Comcast to fix it, call 877-480-1344.

If you don't want or trust Comcast to fix it, then shop for the repair venue of your choice and get it done asap. It will only get worse if ignored, and every day you go online with this problem puts you more at risk.

Whatever repair resource you choose, do it now.